baking from home

(13 Posts)
nannycook Sun 22-Sep-13 21:11:03

If i decided to bake from home, obiously i need to get in touch with the enviourmental people? What happens with that? What do they do? I giess they come and assess your work place i.e your kitchen? I read somewhere you need two.sinks, is this right for just a few cakes? Or is that for something different?

Can anyone give me any advice please?

4forkssake Sun 22-Sep-13 23:29:09

My friend has a business & I think you need to do a food hygiene course (think you can do them online in your own time, but your EHO would know the details).

AFAIK, when they come out, they check for hygiene standards (obviously!), think they like 2 sinks so you can use one to wash hands & another for cake dishes etc. Have read some are ok with a half sink as 2nd sink, some with a washing bowl to do dishes & sink for hand washes, but think council regs all differ.

They check if you've got pets & if so, where they stay (eg dogs in kitchen etc) & think they check where you're keeping cake ingredients etc. Some councils are much more thorough than others.

nannycook Mon 23-Sep-13 07:57:17

I'm a chef also so i've updated my food hygiene cert on line not so long ago. I have a big kitchen with one china sink and a small one to the side is that what you mean? No pets thankfully, two fridges, one fridge freezer and one small built in one. Thank you for info.

nannycook Mon 23-Sep-13 11:53:44

4fork, i have a man coming up to assess my kitchen later today, been cleaning this morning, so hopefully everything will go ok.

nannycook Mon 23-Sep-13 11:54:28

From the environmental health i mean.

4forkssake Mon 23-Sep-13 13:00:59

Sorry just seen your replies. How did it go? Was the sink ok for them?

nannycook Mon 23-Sep-13 13:05:18

He isnt coming up till 1.30, will update you after 4fork.

nannycook Mon 23-Sep-13 16:34:59

Yeh,got a 5 rating, chuffed to bits.

Damnautocorrect Mon 23-Sep-13 16:46:31

If you've a toilet washbasin near by the accept that too. One council I spoke to would accept the dishwasher as a separate sink?!? But personally I think that was pushing it. As pp say, your hygiene cert and making sure pets and others are out the way. Also that you aren't doing washing at the same time.
Think that was it

MikeLitoris Thu 26-Sep-13 19:25:40

nanny I've been thinking about this. Dont know how it would work with me as our toilet/bathroom are off the kitchen and we have a dog. And what about insurance?

Its all a bit of a nightmare really isnt it?

nannycook Fri 27-Sep-13 19:16:43

yes Mike, appears to be! the sink wasnt a problem thankfully as got one and half basin, he wasnt happy about pets in the house, and oddly enough he wasnt happy about a washing machine in the kitchen either, soiled washing going i n the machine then making cakes etc
( thankfully mines in the garage), the rule of thumb i always thought was, you needed two doors between the kitchen and bathroom, my shower room is next door to the kitchen also. they are very picky have to be honest.

He checked things like my eggs, where i had them from and were they stamped, how clean my oven was, whether i had antibactrial spray, only used j cloths and not a dishcloth, obviously my fridge, my storage cupboards where i keep my cooking ingredients, only thing he picked me up on was i hadnt labled things, bins, even cooking with an apron.

i have Public liability insurance as well now, it me £65 ish . i know needed it, now i cook cakes for a local cafe i couldnt do it without all that.

MikeLitoris Fri 27-Sep-13 19:34:38

Its the dog I'm most concerned about tbh. She doesnt really go in the kitchen, just goes to get out the back. There is two gates from the room she is normally in and the kitchen but no door. Kitchen is an extension. There is two doors between the kitchen and bathroom.

The rest wouldn't concern me really. I do all that except label the bins grin

nannycook Fri 27-Sep-13 19:53:55

I have heard that councils do differ Mike, i think the issue with pets are your nor to have them in the kitchen whilst cooking, i'm sure not every who bakes from home are pet free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now