Why was my victoria sandwich crumbly?

(6 Posts)
AndAnother Sun 08-Sep-13 17:25:27

Cooked a Victoria sandwich today using the lazy all in one method, but it came out really crumbly. The only thing I did differently was add 2.5 tbsps. of cocoa to make it a chocolate one, and a drop (few tbspns) of milk as it was quite solid compared to normal.

Tried to serve it at my son's party and it just fell apart. Would one of these things have made it crumbly?

tywysogesgymraeg Sun 08-Sep-13 17:28:42

I suspect the cocoa powder made it too dry. Did you just add cocoa, or did you subsiltitute some of the flour for cocoa? (That's what you should have done).

AndAnother Sun 08-Sep-13 17:55:30

I thought I should substitute some flour for cocoa and I think that's what I have done in the past, but in the Delia book I was using it just said add in addition.

tywysogesgymraeg Sun 08-Sep-13 19:44:01

I'm no expert, but I know that if you use cocoa powder you should add extra liquid, but you say you did that, so not sure.

nannycook Mon 09-Sep-13 07:57:48

Andanother, however much cocoa powder you use, take out the exact in flour in most recipes thats the case, but lately i've been make Mary Berrys ultimate choc cake, which mixes the cocoa with hot water first then add all you ingredients to that and mix, always turns out fab, google it or i can give you recipe.

AndAnother Mon 09-Sep-13 12:52:31

Thank you very much Nannycook - I will google that recipe smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now