Christmas cake

(15 Posts)
firsttimekat Thu 05-Sep-13 16:42:24

Is it just me who makes Christmas cake in September? Me and my mum always made Christmas cake in September and its something I've continued.

I'm off work this week so thought it was an ideal opportunity to make a start. However I've had to explain my decision to the supermarket checkout lady, the plumber and various friends. I then feed it brandy until I marzipan and ice it in December.

On a side note I always hate it when checkout people comment on my shopping!

My mums job does mean she get really busy in December so maybe that's why she does it? So help me MN is this normal?

DwightFry Thu 05-Sep-13 16:48:18

Well, we've been making the christmas cake in September for a good 6 years now. It started the year before DS1 went to school, when we made it on 1 September as an alternative to locking all three DCs in the coal shed for the afternoon. We all like the resulting cake so much that I've kept doing it. Which reminds me, I'm off to put the fruit on the soak.

mmmmmchocolate Thu 05-Sep-13 18:52:10

It tastes much better when it's been marinated drizzled with alcohol for a few months.

I made 2 last summer but only used one so this years cake will be 15 months old and have a half bottle of brandy in it it smells amazing already but I'm kinda gutted that I don't get to make one this September sad

firsttimekat Thu 05-Sep-13 19:30:54

Great to know I'm not the only one.

I remember one year baking several and as we were hiding them so my dad wouldn't eat them we came across one of last years! That was the best cake ever.

IJustNeedANap Sat 07-Sep-13 15:36:02

Mmm chocolate why don't you make one this September for next year and then it's soaked longer?

cloudskitchen Mon 09-Sep-13 09:18:23

I always try and make mine on stir it up sunday which is first half of November. I think it changes yearly as connected to advent grin

elismom Tue 17-Sep-13 21:31:37

Not unusual, my mom always makes hers in October, I aim for Oct too but normally only get to it in November.

Cohenite Tue 17-Sep-13 21:37:36

The first week in October for me usually, love doing it smile

My mum always made a cake & three puddings (one to keep and two to give away).

MairzyDoats Tue 17-Sep-13 21:41:49

Can anyone point me in the direction of a foolproof recipe? I love really moist, dense Christmas cake, followed a family recipe to the letter last year and it was terrible. sad.

By the way, it's bad luck to make your cake in November, and December would be too late to feed it anyway. So it's now or October never!

VikingVagine Wed 18-Sep-13 20:38:02

I'm in the south of France and its still too warm here. I usually make mine around Halloween.

Manchesterhistorygirl Sun 22-Sep-13 16:42:16

Mine is baking in the oven as we speak!

Yawner247 Sun 22-Sep-13 20:03:53

I've done Christmas cakes in sept as that's what my mum did...this year I may not have time to do one as have a baby that only naps thirty mins! I baked a large cake and quartered it and iced them and gave them as presents! smile

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Sun 22-Sep-13 20:09:59

Foolproof cake.

MrsOakenshield Sun 22-Sep-13 20:13:24

yes, though this year we'll be having my cake I made last September, as last year we had my sister's cake which she'd made the previous year but hadn't used due to unforseen circumstances. Should be yum!

Mummybookworm Sun 22-Sep-13 20:16:32

I have made Delia's Creole cake for the last couple of years. Tis yum. Did all the presoaking today for 3 cakes. Will bake next weekend. I usually don't get around to it until Oct/Nov but am a bit more organised this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now