Does anyone have the Multisize tin...

(12 Posts)
nannycook Thu 29-Aug-13 22:26:49

Aw you guys, thank you. I started over 20yrs ago then stop to work fulltime, after 17 yr gap i took it bak up last yr and haven't stopped, just made a spray to
go on an anniversary cake, most of the things i do i haven't done before, like the rose spray, so nervous making that, just iced the board and put the ribbon on, will ice it tomorrow after i come home from work.

Yes maraki, she was so pleased with it as she left everything up to me, design, sizes,she did pick the colour tho bless her, i make all of her cakes now including this one on sat.

Yes the tin is expensive but well worth it.

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 29-Aug-13 22:14:11

Wow Nanny your cakes are incredible! The three-tiered one is stunningly elegant. Well done!

I don't know how you could stand the pressure of baking a wedding cake! I bet your colleague was so pleased with the result.

Thanks for letting me know your experience, Maraki. I feel more confident now that if I just wrap it as best as I can it should survive based on the experiences on this thread.

It is an expensive tin, but I think it will definitely be worth it because of the versatility. I also like that it stores flat.

Maraki Thu 29-Aug-13 22:07:44

Nanycook your cakes are AMAZING!!

Maraki Thu 29-Aug-13 22:04:56

I have that tin too and baked a massive cake for a friends wedding as well as smaller cakes over the years. I didn't wrap it in newspaper and it did burn a tiny bit but it was fine. I haven't thrown the box away as I always need to look at the photos to remind me how to put the dividers.

nannycook Thu 29-Aug-13 22:01:25

I'm sure you wont.

I was so disgusted with myself, for not working things out, this was my 2nd wedding cake on over 20yrs so the pressure was on to get it right and prove myself to be worthy of my colleagues trust in me, plus i've never made a 3 tier stacked cake before, and i was going to the wedding also, never felt so stressed in my life, now i can tackle most things ( well will have a go at least) the wedding cake is on my profile pics if you want to look at it.

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 29-Aug-13 21:46:29

Oh gosh, that would be a hugely expensive mistake.

I have a family recipe that came from my Granny's side - I remember it as a child, and I just want to taste it again this Christmas. I hope I don't mess it up!

nannycook Thu 29-Aug-13 21:30:48

I did start with wet paper tied around but i panicked as i have a gas oven so took it off.

Whatever you do dont follow the recipe that comes with box, its a massive amount of mixture with 18eggs, it comes up to the top of the flipping tin and its very heavy,on top of that it says 6hrs which you could do will double that, mine didnt cook enough, i cut it in half and it wasnt cooked, it was but it wasnt, very squidgy, i wouldnt use it and started agian with another recipe from Alan Dunn, much much better and tasted so much nicer than the first one, huge learning curve for me and an expensive one.

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 29-Aug-13 20:55:37

Really? And it didn't burn? That is impressive. I think I'll go ahead and buy it and then do a bit of a Heath Robinson job on the wrapping.

I have measured my oven and it easily would fit, thankfully.

nannycook Thu 29-Aug-13 18:38:52

Have to be honest Anne i didnt wrap in in paper only greasproof on the inside. Theres no probs with making smaller thats what the dividers are for.

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 29-Aug-13 17:44:53

Oh brilliant, Nanny, thank you. Will go and measure my oven!

Did you wrap the tin in newspaper to prevent it from burning? If so, how do you think that would work if it was only cooking an 11" rather than a 12"? Would the sticky out bits of the unused tin make it impossible?

nannycook Thu 29-Aug-13 17:00:00

Anne, i have the very tin, multisize and bought the deviders to go with it, i baked a 12 inch fruit in june, then baked a 9 and 2 6inch sponges, the fruit one was iin the oven for 7 ish hrs.it does just fit in the oven so whatever you do make sure it will fit. The person i made the wedding cake for bought it for me as a prezzie as i only charged her half price for her 3 tier cake, then i bought the dividers from Amazon.

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 29-Aug-13 09:20:04

...from Lakeland? Made by Silverwood?

We have a family Christmas cake recipe that I have rediscovered after it being lost for years and I'd like to give it a go, as my Gran and DM used to make it every year.

It needs an 11" square tin and from memory is quite deep, so I have been looking for an appropriate tin.

I like the look of the Multisize one (here) as I could use it for other size recipes and think I would get more use out of it, but I'm worried about how it will work in practice.

The cake will be in the oven for about 5 hours, so the tin will need to be well wrapped with newspaper, and I wonder how that will work with the tin not being used at full capacity (12").

Does anyone have any experience or advice? Or can you recommend a better tin?

TIA - I do feel a bit of a fraud in this section, as I am by no means a baker!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now