Renshaw Icing figures...they aren't set and I need them for tomorrow!

(37 Posts)
Lioninthesun Sat 03-Aug-13 21:06:00

Would really appreciate any advice on how to dry out 3 large bears by tomorrow morning...eeek! I was told the stuff dries out REALLY fast and was actually worried they would be too brittle, but they are still almost gooey. Tried putting them in the fridge and now wondering if I should try just leaving them out over night. At the moment when I put them on they are leaning backwards and would probably be lying flat after an hour! I even tried a toothpick behind one but her bottom just moulded around it and now she has a builders bum!
HELP PLEASE!
<and a bit of sobbing for good measure>

RippingYarns Sat 03-Aug-13 21:08:47

fridge will make them sweat with condensation , so somewhere warm and very dry would be ideal

have you got a hairdryer with a very low setting from a distance? could you use that to set the outside at least?

bigTillyMint Sat 03-Aug-13 21:09:04

Leave them out to dry out - icing dry's out best when it's left uncovered.

<it's a long time since I last made figures for a cake!>

What about putting them into a very low oven.. Turn oven on for 5 mins, turn it off then put them in with the door open...like you would for a meringue?

bigTillyMint Sat 03-Aug-13 21:17:18

Oh God, no! That sounds like a recipe for disaster!

RippingYarns Sat 03-Aug-13 21:19:50

you know what Lion?

have you got any more icing left? i think you might have overworked it, and it's got too warm and the sugar has started to melt. putting it in the fridge has started the condensation to rise and that will melt more of the sugar...

Lioninthesun Sat 03-Aug-13 21:19:51

Ah, so me putting them in tupperware in the fridge did nothing to help then- whoops! Bit miffed my friend didn't mention that when she came over the other day actually - she was meant to be my guide here!
OK, I don't think I trust the oven idea (having just whacked the cake into the fridge with melting buttercream due to the heat (or should I leave that out too? I have done grass with a piper and don't want it to just go flat?).
Rambling a little now as have had a glass of rather nice red to calm me!

RippingYarns Sat 03-Aug-13 21:22:10

buttercream in fridge = good

roly icing in fridge/sealed container = bad

Lioninthesun Sat 03-Aug-13 21:22:21

Hmm, I do have some more left....
I think another glass of wine may be needed.
I haven't even tried to take the plates of sandwiches and cakes off the tray they were on yet and a bit worried they may not fit
Everyone said "Oh just buy a shop bought one" but nooooo, I had to have bloody great big bears.
At least the bears are still smiling, even if they look a little drunk wink

Lioninthesun Sat 03-Aug-13 21:23:56

Next year she gets a smiley smarties face.

RippingYarns Sat 03-Aug-13 21:26:03

drunken bears will be fine, can you lie them on some parchment paper overnight then lie flat on the cake tomorrow?

they could be sunbathing bears grin

Lioninthesun Sat 03-Aug-13 21:27:22

Trouble is there will be no room for the picnic if they are drunk.
Perhaps I could do an empty wine bottle and some wrappers instead...
<ponders>

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 03-Aug-13 21:30:27

Have you a fan? You need them in cool air not in anywhere warm. I would place them in the coolest part of the house with a fan. Not right on them but nearby.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 03-Aug-13 21:31:08

Whatever it turns out like, can we have a pic please? Especially if they're drunk! grin

RippingYarns Sat 03-Aug-13 21:31:43

so many x-posts here, i love it grin

YY to pics

Lioninthesun Sat 03-Aug-13 21:45:47

I'm definitely going to take some pics before we leave as I doubt it will still be in one piece by the time we get there.
I thought the risky bit was choosing to do a white cake due to buying DD an unplanned white dress in the Monsoon sale (I swooned and she was asleep so I had far too much time to decide to buy it) and plumping for a white chocolate and elderflower. I actually have no idea what it tastes like and am hoping the chocolate will cover any, erm, interesting flavour faux pas. THAT was my main concern. What a fool!
So they may be skiing down the white chocolate ganache by the end of the trip to the park shock.
I will leave them in my kitchen over night. They are sitting in the ice cream tub with their backs against the walls as I type (lid off I hasten to add!).

Lioninthesun Sat 03-Aug-13 21:51:29

Oh crap. White chocolate ganache. 23 degree heat. In a park with no fridge.
WHAT WAS I THINKING!

RippingYarns Sat 03-Aug-13 21:57:32

have you got any freezer blocks, if not some freezer bags half filled with water now will be done by the morning

put those in the bottom of the box you're putting the cake in, wrapped in lots and lots of kitchen roll/tea towels, and keep it out of the sun

Lioninthesun Sat 03-Aug-13 21:58:46

Ooooh yes, I do! Thank you Ripping!

RippingYarns Sat 03-Aug-13 22:03:33

YW

stealthsquiggle Sat 03-Aug-13 22:06:05

For drying bears - porous surfaces are what you need. Do you have any clean sponges? If they were sat one one, with their backs against another, in front of a fan, that would be their best chance IMO.

I have a spare bear. He's dry, and cute, and very depressed at finishing 4th in a class of 4 at the local agricultural show today..

stealthsquiggle Sat 03-Aug-13 22:11:15
Lioninthesun Sat 03-Aug-13 22:16:47

I quite fancied the idea of my bears in a salon propped up on sponges. Sadly went to the cupboard under the sink and the is only 1 white scourer sponge spare there and the rest are green which seems to be crumbling green scouring pad all over the sponge part of every sponge. You may have guessed I prefer to use the white ones and haven't stocked up recently!
Would kitchen roll do, or is there a risk of sticking?
If your bear has a personal jet Squiggle, he may just get here in time for the drunken skiing picnic outing my little fellas are embarking upon in the morning... That should cheer him up!

Lioninthesun Sat 03-Aug-13 22:22:29

Wow Squiggle he is amazing!
My bears look like bin foragers in comparison. He even has shiny locks!

stealthsquiggle Sat 03-Aug-13 22:24:57

Kitchen roll would work. A little sticking would be better than drunken collapsing... I think my sad bear could use some drunken ski partying, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now