What are you all baking this weekend?

(54 Posts)
ArtyFartyQueen Fri 26-Jul-13 20:04:41

DD and I are just starting an evening of bank g together for a friends party tomorrow. We're making the Hummingbird Red Velvet Roulade, Hummingbird Lemon Bars and the Hummingbird Brownies (can you spot the theme?!) The trick is not to let DS or DP get to them unt we get to the party!

neontetra Fri 26-Jul-13 20:09:13

Sounds lovely! Nothing more taxing than chocolate crispy cakes here (not even baking then, really) as dd is only a toddler. Might knock up and freeze a quiche, too, if I get the chance - doing a cricket tea the following weekend, so need to try and get ahead with that.

nannycook Fri 26-Jul-13 22:32:36

Arty, nowt tomorrow as got a wedding but sunday back to the grindstone and making my 2nd birthday cake of the week. No rest for the wicked.

MothershipG Fri 26-Jul-13 22:35:23

Smitten Kitchen's home made Oreos, because I bought the teeny tiny cookie scoop she recommends and I'm looking forward to evenly sized oreos! grin

Victoria Sponge and Lemon drizzle made today as have GP's over for the weekend! Yum.

TeamEdward Fri 26-Jul-13 22:40:55

We're off on holiday tomorrow but have made a carrot cake with cream cheese topping, filled with marmalade, and a boozy banana bread.

Tommy Fri 26-Jul-13 22:43:31

I've been planning to do the ice cream cupcakes from the GoodFood mag but haven't been able to rustle up the enthusiasm.....
Too hot to bake grin

ArtyFartyQueen Fri 26-Jul-13 23:18:50

Ooo these all sound good - would be intrigued to see how the home-made oreo cookies turn out - let me know MothershipG!

My first roulade turned out better than expected with minimal cracks but it looks a bit bigger/looser than in the cookery book. DD made the lemon bars practically by herself which is great and she's very proud of herself.

Have left making the brownies till tomorrow morning so DS can help!

Happy Baking everyone!

I don't have baking plans but probably should have. Evil MN flapjacks and brownies for holiday club lunchboxes next week, and extended family Sunday lunch/tea.

Oh, and an "item of sugarcraft" for a country show next weekend.

Ruffello Fri 26-Jul-13 23:31:03

Not exactly baking, but I've cobbled together a chocolate refrigerator cake.

MrsBertMacklin Fri 26-Jul-13 23:36:16

Tommy, let us know if you end up doing those ice cream cakes please. I'm half-minded to do it, would be good to know if they're worth the effort and if the recipe works!

I made the ultimate chocolate cake recipe from the BBC website this evening, but I'm not going to ice it with ganache; l will sandwich with chocolate buttercream and top with Oreo/cream cheese icing. I think it's going to be horrifically sickly, but it's a birthday cake request.

For myself, I'm making some blueberry scones tomorrow. I have some ricotta in the fridge which needs using up, so will spread with that in place of clotted cream.

showtunesgirl Fri 26-Jul-13 23:40:29

I just made some banana honey and oat breakfast muffins for tomorrow.

nannycook Sat 27-Jul-13 07:15:01

Well they all sound scrummy, sat here at 7.15 sat morn and already i've already piled on the calories just looking at all this.

Slealth. What"item of sugarcraft" are you making this time? i have a b'day to make tomorrow, got a wedding today so hoping i wont have to much of a hangover to do the cake, ha ha. Has to be done no matter what i feel like.

nannycook Sat 27-Jul-13 07:17:22

MrsBert, that sounds wounderfully sickly, creamcheese, with crushed oreo's??or what do you do with them? do tell.

Lamazeroo Sat 27-Jul-13 07:20:29

I'm going to attempt some gluten free apple cider, onion and sunflower seed breads. Hoping they'll be good for breakfast.

Nanny - that is the title of the class. I thought I might do a cake topper - a fuzzy bunny with a blanket. I have done one with a bear before, and I need to master bunnies for goddaughter's christening in September - so this is a practice run. I am also entering a patchwork bag (done) and a chocolate sponge.

Ice cream cakes, BTW, look pretty but the cone goes soggy sad

ArtyFartyQueen Sat 27-Jul-13 23:18:53

How has all the baking gone?!

Our baking for the party went down a treat (even though I didn't get to taste a huge amount, which is probably good for the diet!)

Think we might try and make Cinnamon Pop Overs from a new baking book for breakfast tomorrow...

EugenesAxe Sat 27-Jul-13 23:22:24

Pear tarte tatin here. I have pears in abundance.

Taffeta Sat 27-Jul-13 23:24:11

I made these today with part of my red gooseberry glut.

I bake a fair bit and can say its one of the most delish things I have ever made. grin

2kidsintow Sat 27-Jul-13 23:25:45

Nigella's chocolate pavlova. The raspberries and strawberries in the garden are finally ripening enough to pick and are delicious on top of this.

I not longer assemble the whole lot though, as the cream sinks into the pav and goes a bit sickly. But left separate, they last longer and can be eaten the next day too. smile smile smile

Ruprekt Sat 27-Jul-13 23:27:24

A big fat chocolate cake. smilesmile

nannycook Sun 28-Jul-13 19:23:56

Well slealth i'm rather proud if myself, drank way to much and didnt get hime till 1 after our wedding yesterday, was up at the crack of dawn cos ds was going to a carboot sale and we were meant to babysit our 4yr old, on top of that i made and decorated a cake for colleague tomorrow. Put it on my profile not sure about it. have a look at it for me.

Will have a look later (can't see profiles from phone app). I ended up baking a ton of brownie and 2 banana cakes, then sent half of it home with DB2 who has been entertaining the DC all weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now