9" square spongecake recipe

(6 Posts)
spambolina Mon 15-Jul-13 16:43:08

Calling all bakers. Desperate for a simple sponge cake recipe for what i hope will eventually resemble a castle cake once decorated!! After being baffled with the scale up of a 7" round cake recipe i opted to just double the quantity and pour 3/4 of the mixture in the 9" square tin. But of course i have no idea of the cooking time, but have already clocked up 45 mins and it still seems a bit undercooked (heated at 160). I have seen some recipes that has stated 1 hour! So if anyone has a fantastic recipe for the 9" square tin including the cooking temp and time, then it would make my day not to mention my DD.
Fingers crossed.

blue2 Mon 15-Jul-13 17:09:33
spambolina Mon 15-Jul-13 18:23:34

Thanks blue2, looks useful but doesnt have the cooking time.

nannycook Mon 15-Jul-13 21:43:07

Spambolina, i have one i use all the time for single tier cakes.
350grms of butter, caster and s/r flour, 2tsp baking powder, vanilla and 6 eggs, beat all together for 3-5mins and cook for hr and half ish gas 3. Hope this is helpful, made it yesterday for a 60th anniversary cake, said it was beautiful.

spambolina Fri 19-Jul-13 11:20:06

thanks nannycook will give it a go. Its hellish baking in this heat!!

nannycook Sat 20-Jul-13 19:53:51

Tell me about it, i've made 4 cakes and cupcakes in the last 2 weeks, grrrr, latest one just put on my profile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now