I need to make a peppa pig castle cake - help?!

(14 Posts)
BeaWheesht Sun 14-Jul-13 23:11:45

Dd wants a peppa pig castle cake apparently - she will be turning 3. She's only ever seen peppa on TV once but has a toy one she loves. I don't think it's a specific castle / cake she wants tbh.

I'm thinking a castle cake with peppa figures on?

Any ideas? I'm particularly shit at icing but not especially great at any baking really! Don't want to let her down though, she's only wee, she still thinks I can catch the moon and stars so a peppa castle cake should be a piece of piss.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sun 14-Jul-13 23:34:24

Castles are very tricky...if I were you, I would buy a generic, white iced celebration cake from Tesco or Asda and decorate it...buy or make one of these I made one using packs of sugar paste ready made from Tesco...I coloured them with food colouring...it worked well but was tricky. And use a Peppa pig figure to decorate it along with some icing flowers...you could get some of the lovely wafer daisies which you can also buy at Tesco. They're pink and white and really cute... here I used them today on some cupcakes. Very nice.

HoneyDragon Sun 14-Jul-13 23:40:57

My dd wanted a My Little Pony Castle.

I baked a Square cake. Then used 4 Swiss rolls as turrets by cutting a 1/4 out each. As Swiss rolls crumble you need to glaze them with print gam before icing itch buttercream.

The spires were ice cream cornets piped with buttercream.

I am not a cake maker at all but it was quite easy smile

BeaWheesht Sun 14-Jul-13 23:54:33

What's print gam?? How did the Swiss rolls stick to the base cake?

Neon- I know, I know but I really really want to make her one - you should see her little face she just KNOWS I can do it even though I can't.

BeaWheesht Sun 14-Jul-13 23:55:46

Ps honey - is it wrong that I'm thinking 'this woman immaced her baby, if she can do it surely I can?'

smile

HoneyDragon Mon 15-Jul-13 00:06:58

Print should be apricot confused

No it is entirely the right attitude to have grin, it is easy

Like this

BeaWheesht Mon 15-Jul-13 00:12:35

Oh apricot jam makes much more sense smile

BeaWheesht Mon 15-Jul-13 00:14:27

Hmmmmm have looked at your cakes and you seem like you are actually quite a good baker.......

<nervous>

TheFutureMrsB Mon 15-Jul-13 00:42:54

You could use ice cream cones as the turrets and just quickly ice those? Could even stick little flags into the tops too.

HoneyDragon Mon 15-Jul-13 04:23:57

Nope. Just look at the baking threads on here for cheats and short cuts.

Cake toppers from eBay and buying good food colours is all it is smile and beind able to bake a Madeira sponge.

Remember I have immaced my children and turned them blue, but I can do this.

I started like you in that I really wanted to impress my little boy. And thankfully children are easy to impress grin

BeaWheesht Mon 15-Jul-13 06:33:37

Ok..... Ill give it a shot so how are the Swiss rolls attached? Just with jam?

nannycook Mon 15-Jul-13 08:49:18

i think that pic looks ok to do also, have a go.x

HoneyDragon Mon 15-Jul-13 09:15:22

Yes, but a thin layer of butter cream works too. It's also easier to carve if everything's been in the fridge first. Then pop it back I. The fridge for a bit till you're ready to ice.

There are some AMAZING cake makers on Mnet who have fabulous talents and are very artistic. They are also very non judgy and happy to give advice, which has helped me to get to a standard good enough to impress my children grin

nannycook Mon 15-Jul-13 12:56:46

Yep i did that yesterday morn at 6.20 jam and creamed a cake then popped it in the fridge to firm up before i even crumb coated it, it was fine then, this weather does give me a few issues tho with fondant and buttercream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now