I'm making a police station cake for DS, please can you give me some pointers?

(37 Posts)
CobOnTheCorn Sun 14-Jul-13 11:32:18

I am an amateur baker and cake decorator, I only make stuff for my dc so I know some basics but would appreciate some tips from you more exerienced people.

I have lurked on some of the sugarcraft chats a while ago and seen some of the marvellous creations you have made.

So this is what I'm going to attempt but without the helicopter.

So, first the cake itself - it needs to be quite large, can anyone share a foolproof recipe for a vanilla sponge that won't crumb too much. Mine often dry out so this time I'm going to make 2 or 3 think cakes and layer them.

I'll sandwich them together with a bit of jam and buttercream then coat completely with buttercream.

I haven't made a two-tiered cake before but I have some rods. How may should I use and how far above the bottom layer should they poke out?

I think I'll cut the black shapes for the roof first and stick those on, then wrap the white paste around. For the brick imprints I'm thinkking of using a rule for the horizontal lines and maybe a mdeling tool for the vertical lines or perhaps the back of a plastic knife.

Hopefully a few more rectangles for doors etc and it'll be sort of recogniseable when I add Lego police and their vehicles.

What have I missed? Will I need a vat of buttercream, what is best to stick the doors on with - vodka?.

Thanks if you made it this far!

Any tips gratefuly received!

CobOnTheCorn Mon 22-Jul-13 14:58:38

Thanks nanny very kind of you to say. I made a few cakes last year but I didn't have a 6 week old baby then!

nannycook Sat 20-Jul-13 20:03:04

Well done cobonthrcorn, if thats your first attempt you should be really pleased with yourself, if its sny help keep practising and you will get better, i only started back up last yr and after the wedding cake i made(pic on my profile) my confidence has soared,after that i feel ready to tactle anything,.ha ha well within reason.

CobOnTheCorn Sat 20-Jul-13 13:35:56

Certainly easier than standing on your head! wink

Blatherskite Fri 19-Jul-13 21:36:39

Thank goodness I'm on the netbook and not the PC - I can turn my netbook upside down wink

I looks good Cob, well done. So glad your DS loved it too

CobOnTheCorn Fri 19-Jul-13 21:22:59

I have tons of cake and would gladly share it with you if you're anywhere near Brighton.

I've tried to add a photo but it seems to be upside down. I think making a cake and uploading a cake is beyond my limit!

That's why I like making cakes for DC. I /you look at a finished cake and see all the things that could have been done differently /better. They look at it and think "wow. My Mummy made that. For me" grin

Blatherskite Fri 19-Jul-13 09:19:14

Well yes, but I still maintain that you were the one that deserved it.

Cob I'll take my fee in cake please grin

CobOnTheCorn Fri 19-Jul-13 09:15:29

Blatherskite you can take the credit for bringing stealth to the thread. I owe you a finders fee!

CobOnTheCorn Fri 19-Jul-13 09:12:53

You are both way better than Delia!

The cake is done. I'll post a picture when I work out how to. It definitely looks home made and there are things I have learned that are now to late to correct. But DS loves it and thinks it's "wonderful" and that is good enough for me.

I'm not the only one that can claim that wink

Blatherskite Thu 18-Jul-13 21:17:39

Stealth is amazing. Her cakes are Delia approved don'tcha know ;)

CobOnTheCorn Thu 18-Jul-13 20:49:10

No, not too late at all. The dowels are in and the board is still under the top tier. Assembly will take place as soon as the baby frees me.

stealth you have been incredibly helpful. Thank you very, very much.

thanks and wine

If it's not too late - leave the board in, if it is the same size as the cake, and put dowels (straws) in the bottom layer to support it.

CobOnTheCorn Thu 18-Jul-13 16:23:37

Thanks stealth I'll send you a slice! I suppose I should take the board out then

I can imagine DS seeing it tomorrow and me yelling "don't touch it" in some neurotic fashion. Poor kid.

Gravity and a smear of buttercream should do the job, unless you are planning on taking it on a roller coaster wink

CobOnTheCorn Thu 18-Jul-13 15:31:37

I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen them with my own eyes. It's probably a good job I don't have time to order them.

Right, I may have messed up. I've covered both cakes but separately so I need to put the top tier on and I don' know how to attach it so that it doesn't just fall off. It has only just occurred to me that perhaps I was supposed to assemble the tiers and then cover in sugar paste. So, how can I get out of this pickle?

Ice some kind of border to seal the two tiers together? Use the dowels to spear both levels to join them?

Help!!

You could have edible jewels if you wanted.

CobOnTheCorn Tue 16-Jul-13 14:22:58

Ha ha to all the suggestions. Personally I love a bit of Playmobil but, as I keep reminding myself, this cake is for DS and he is having Lego. I've got some police officers, dogs and vehicles, some robbers, stolen jewels and handcuffs.

Well, I will have if Amazon come good and get the blighters here in time.

Cakes are now baked and wrapped in cling film. Buttercream is made and sitting in the fridge.

Mynewmoniker Mon 15-Jul-13 22:47:59

Are you going hide a file inside it grin

Don't forget the police dogs jumping through the fire hoops!

Looks like you are outnumbered, Blathers wink

I heart playmobil

Blatherskite Mon 15-Jul-13 21:49:21

Why bother when Lego policemen and robbers are so easy to find?

No need for the tall buggers to get involved grin

It's fusion, Blathers. Sent multi cultural society. Peace and goodwill. All that. --or you could just make it a playmobil police station--grin

Blatherskite Mon 15-Jul-13 20:45:13

You can't put Playmobil figures on a Lego cake! shock

Once it has fondant on it should be fine anywhere that is reasonably cool and dry (it's at times like these that I really wish we had a larder).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now