Using up jam

(15 Posts)
orderinformation Sat 06-Jul-13 11:20:05

I have a huge amount of delicious home made jam and want to use it to make some kind of cake (not a sponge sandwich) or preferably individual cakes for a garden party we are having. Any suggestions?

MildredH Sat 06-Jul-13 11:26:31

Jam tarts? So easy. Not exactly patisserie worthy but go down really well!

orderinformation Sat 06-Jul-13 11:39:31

Yes was thinking that. Can I make the day before?

I think nigella does a chocolate marmalade cake, substitute the marmalade for jam - yum

burberryqueen Sat 06-Jul-13 11:55:06

a lovely bakewell tart with a thick layer of jam?

I'd serve really good jam with scones so its flavour doesn't get lost.

nooka Sat 06-Jul-13 19:14:38

I made about 200 jars of jam a couple of years ago after buying a house with 14 fruit trees in the garden and getting a bit carried away grin

What sort of jam is it? I've made a few black forest gateau type cakes which were scrummy with cherry jam (4 cherry trees!).

If you make little tarts you can use a blob of creme patisserie, a piece of fruit and then melt jam and pour over the top. Very summery.

Thumb print biscuits are nice too - they are a crunchy little biscuit with a blob of jam on top cooked in. If you have different coloured jams they look especially nice.

Otherwise I fund that substituting jam for sugar worked with lots of things.

nooka - you could've opened a jam shop!

FriskyHenderson Sat 06-Jul-13 19:37:36

I don't know what it's called but a tart (big or small) with pastry, jam then vanilla sponge is delicious.

orderinformation Sat 06-Jul-13 21:05:11

Oh I like the look of thumbprint biscuits. How far in advance do you think I could make them?

MyBoysAreFab Sat 06-Jul-13 21:07:11

http://www.worldjampionships.com/

nooka Sat 06-Jul-13 21:30:27

Not sure, they usually get eaten pretty quickly here! I'd have thought two or three days would be fine. Googling I see loads of different recipes and some give storage times of 5 days to a week.

JennyWren Sat 06-Jul-13 22:32:51

Homemade jammy dodger biscuits mighty be a bit more fancy than thumbprints if you're serving them at a party. Plain biscuit, jam, biscuit with small hole cut in the middle, all sandwiched together. You can cut the biscuits and holes with different shaped cutters.

My mum made me some jam last summer. It freezes very well! It didn't set solid in there but it lasted for ages.

MildredH Sun 07-Jul-13 08:17:39

Sorry not to have been back sooner OP.. Been at work hmm

Yes- you can definitely make jam tarts the day before. Just store in a good airtight box.

Jam tarts are not sophisticated but if you roll the pastry nice & thin and use good jam they are lovely!

Good luck. Mmm, too much jam- what a delicious problem to have!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now