Spider-Man cakes - can any decorating aficionados help me recreate this pic?

(19 Posts)
CountBapula Sat 06-Jul-13 08:31:04

This one

It doesn't look like the black icing is piped - is it one of those edible pens? What kind of red icing should I use?

Am a novice so be gentle with me...

superbagpuss Sat 06-Jul-13 08:48:34

you can buy a great spiderman cake from tesco

looks around guiltily

CountBapula Sat 06-Jul-13 08:50:15

Ha, thanks super but I quite fancy having a go myself.

<makes note of Tesco just in case>

You can buy red fondant icing in lakeland.

Or you can buy white fondant in tesco and get red paste colouring, probably Sugarflair Extra Red, and colour it yourself.

And yes I think its an edible pen. Fondant is the best thing if you are drawing on it.

CountBapula Sat 06-Jul-13 08:57:56

Ooh brill, thanks wannabe.

Moominsarehippos Sat 06-Jul-13 09:02:23

Make sure you don't get the 'gel' icing pens. They look lovely but to the best of my knowledge, the bloody stuff doesn't dry!!!

I've done many a spiderman cake in my time! The little icing tubes are good but if you are doing something elablorate, you end up with shaky hands and crossed eyes!

Saving a pic as a pdf and sending it off to be made into a sugar-paper topper is a good idea I did this with a beautiful line drawing one year. Look online for companies that do this.

You could just do the 'draw web on cake and plop spoderman toy (cleaned) on top' route!

CountBapula Sat 06-Jul-13 11:42:47

Thanks Moomins, good tip.

I've just put a pic of DS's birthday cake which was a spiderman cake on my profile. I'm a novice but found a great tutorial on youtube. I covered the cake in white fondant and ising a cocktail stick marked out the eyes and than the web lines. Next I painted the red bits with gel fondant colouring (from Asda) mixed with a little vodka. When that was dry I dipped the cocktail stick in black gel fondant (neat) & painted on the lines. This was really easy as I just followed the indentations and the cocktail stick was easy to control as it was rigid. I should imagine this would work for cupcakes too. HTH

Yes, that looks like
- cakes covered in red fondant
- web pattern drawn on in edible pen (not gel icing pen)
- eye shapes cut out of white fondant and attached to top of red fondant
- draw round eye shapes with edible pen

2ofstedsin24weeksistakingthep, your profile isn't set to Public...

It should be now!

CountBapula Sun 07-Jul-13 07:38:24

Wow, 2ofsteds, that looks amazing! Good tip re the cocktail sticks.

If any of you are still around, can I just ask: when you say 'fondant' do you mean icing just made with fondant icing sugar, or do you mean that stuff you roll out? <clueless>

nannycook Sun 07-Jul-13 08:14:27

Countbapula, its the ready roll sugarpaste/fondant, you can buy it in already coloured red in small 250grm packs in asda/tesco, if you just want it for cupcakes, if you want to cover a whole cake then its best to buy the bigger packs from a cake decoeating shop.They are around £1.50ish to buy.Let me know if you want any help and advice ok?

nannycook Sun 07-Jul-13 08:16:43

Sorry i mean the small packs are £ 1.50 not the bigger packs, the bigger ones are about£7.50.

nannycook Sun 07-Jul-13 08:27:57

Countbapula, i just put a pic on my profile of the cupcakes i made for someone yesterday, for you to see the size and how uniformed they look by using an icecream scoop.

CountBapula Sun 07-Jul-13 08:45:19

nannycook your cakes look amazing! So should I use a cookie cutter to cut out the red sugarpaste? How do you attach it to the cakes? (And how do you attach the white sugarpaste to the red?)

Thank you so much for your advice, everyone thanks

nannycook Sun 07-Jul-13 09:16:36

So you can keep the fondant nice and flat all you need is a smear of buttercream on the cake then that will act as a glue, the put your disc on top, you can buy edible glue its in a small pot to attach the other things.hope that helps?

A little (very little) bit of water, rubbed on the red will stick the white on, if you cant find edible glue!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now