Anyone have a good tried and tested egg free cake recipe?

(7 Posts)
Judyandherdreamofhorses Tue 02-Jul-13 10:15:09

Syrup cake has worked out okay. A bit flat. But DS won't mind - he's only going to be one! It's my niece who is egg allergic so I'm not used to egg free baking. This will be fine, and we'll eat the chocolate pudding with egg free ice cream today!

madamecake Tue 02-Jul-13 09:44:41

Oh no! So sorry it didn't work for you. Hopefully you can still eat it yourself. The syrup cake sounds nice, might make that myself.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Tue 02-Jul-13 06:40:28

I'm going to try this one.

syrup cake

Judyandherdreamofhorses Tue 02-Jul-13 06:37:28

Oh dear. It's a very delicious and squidgey chocolate pudding. Got a big hole in the middle but also didn't cook through. I left it a lot longer than 30 minutes but the outside was going to burn if I left it longer. Must be that my tin was too deep.

Birthday is tomorrow. I've got chance to try one more recipe...

Judyandherdreamofhorses Mon 01-Jul-13 18:53:18

It's in the oven, madamecake. Thanks. I'll let you know how it turns out!

madamecake Mon 01-Jul-13 08:18:57

I've been making this one for a few years. It's a very squidgy chocolate cake. I usually double the recipe to make 2 cakes and sandwich together with chocolate buttercream or ganache.

8 fluid oz milk
4 fluid oz vegetable or corn oil
1 tsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
8 oz plain flour
8 oz caster sugar
2 oz cocoa power
1/4 tsp bicarb of soda
1 level tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius. Grease and line a 7 inch round cake tin.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together. Sift all the dry ingredients together into a bowl, then stir liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Beat with a wooden spoon to a smooth slack.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes.

My DB has an egg allergy and loves this cake.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Mon 01-Jul-13 07:44:34

It's for a birthday cake. I've left it too late to try out recipes. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now