Arrrggghhhh! I hate chocolate cornflake crispy cake thingies

(29 Posts)
CharlotteCollinsismovingon Fri 21-Jun-13 13:50:49

That is the third time I have tried ever so gently to heat butter, golden syrup and chocolate together - and every time it has turned into a solid, yucky mess.

How can I do it without it ending in disaster?

PassTheCremeEggs Fri 21-Jun-13 21:37:16

Try melting the chocolate in a bain marie (bowl set over a pan of boiling water on hob) Melting chocolate in a pan directly on hob is usually a disaster.

Alternatively chuck straight into a pan all together: 4oz butter, 4 tbsp golden syrup, 4tbsp icing sugar and 4dsp cocoa powder and melt together and add corn flakes/rice krispies etc. It won't curdle/split/go hard etc and is the best base for chocolate crispy cakes/biscuit cakes. Everyone goes crazy for it. For a load of cakes for a party probably double the recipe.

CharlotteCollinsismovingon Fri 21-Jun-13 23:07:09

Mmm, tiffin - loved that years ago, and it brightened many a hard day pregnant with dc1! grin

CharlotteCollinsismovingon Fri 21-Jun-13 23:11:11

Never melted chocolate in a pan... it's just the combining of butter and chocolate post-melting that's a mystery to me (but perhaps the syrup was the culprit).

I shall try melting butter and adding solid chocolate to that next time, then. Not for this birthday party, though!

<returns to creating rather ambitious birthday cake hoping that bad culinary ability luck for day has run out>

Put the broken up choc in a bowl with the butter. Put bowl over the pan of water but the bowl mustnt touch the water. Stir every now and again. Then add the syrup.

Too much heat will make the chocolate seize.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now