Arrrggghhhh! I hate chocolate cornflake crispy cake thingies

(29 Posts)
CharlotteCollinsismovingon Fri 21-Jun-13 13:50:49

That is the third time I have tried ever so gently to heat butter, golden syrup and chocolate together - and every time it has turned into a solid, yucky mess.

How can I do it without it ending in disaster?

kelda Fri 21-Jun-13 13:52:36

I just use chocolate. Usually dark belgian chocolate. I sometimes put a bit of butter into the melted chocolate but would never use syrup.

DonutForMyself Fri 21-Jun-13 13:53:07

Use cocoa powder instead of chocolate?

Wylye Fri 21-Jun-13 13:53:31

Um, microwave in 10 second bursts til it's liquid? I'm sorry, I have no idea if that works! Worth a shot tho, might rescue the blob?

I have newfound enthusiasm for the things since I realised that they're gluten-free - been on stupid doctor ordered wheat/gluten free diet for weeks now and was very very grateful when someone pointed out I can eat those!

I miss biscuits and cake. sad

kelda Fri 21-Jun-13 13:53:52

And how are you heating the chocolate? I use a bain marie or the microwave.

SkinnyDecaffGiraffe Fri 21-Jun-13 13:55:56

Definitely cocoa rather than chocolate for that recipe.

I do equalish amounts of cocoa, butter and syrup then a small amount of sugar. In a pan all goes ok.

DeffoBossLa Fri 21-Jun-13 13:56:18

Never had a problem with them & I use the same ingredients, much nicer than just choc. Are you putting it on the smallest ring on lowest heat? Only thing I can think if us that its getting too hot.

TwoTearsInABucket Fri 21-Jun-13 14:13:11

do you use baking chocolate or real choc? The only time that ever happened to me was when I used "baking chocolate". It just never melted properly.

But I also agree that butter and syrup is best with cocoa powder rather than choc.

tobiasfunke Fri 21-Jun-13 14:14:44

Tates better when it's just melted choclate and the crispy stuff. I like the shredded wheat ones the best.

I always take the pan off the heat and break the choclate into bits and chuck the choc melts fine then throw the cornflakes in a bit at a time so cornflakes ate covered but when dished out theres a little bit of choc goo to pour in my mouth over the cornflakes

crypes Fri 21-Jun-13 14:27:24

Do not heat the golden syrup with the other stuff, golden syrup boils quicker than chocolate and will burn and ruin it, add it from bottle after everything else.

Moominsarehippos Fri 21-Jun-13 14:37:03

Just use some Green + Blacks. Syrup makes it all sticky and they don't set 'still'.

kelda Fri 21-Jun-13 16:56:47

I agree, definitely good quality dark chocolate, I use Belgian Jacques chocolate, not sure if you can get it in the UK.

And melt the chocolate on its own, and add the butter when it's melted and still hot.

nannycook Fri 21-Jun-13 18:11:43

This is the simplest thing ever, melt 5 marsbars over a low heat( cut them up first) and to rice krispies, yum yum yum.

exexpat Fri 21-Jun-13 18:15:10

I do butter, golden syrup and cooking chocolate - put it all into big pyrex or metal mixing bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water on the hob, and stir gently until it's all melted. Then stir in rice crispies or cornflakes. It's much easier than trying to do it directly in a saucepan.

Startail Fri 21-Jun-13 18:39:18

Make buns, crispy cakes are a huge fuss.

Just to let you know that Kellogg's corn flakes and rice crispies are not gluten free- they have barley in, as do most cereals! You can buy gluten free versions but they are ££! Sorry sad

HSMMaCM Fri 21-Jun-13 18:45:59

5 mars bars nannycook!

I just use chocolate (melted in a bowl over hot water) and then (when it's melted) mix in cereal, raisins, nuts, marshmallows, or whatever comes to hand.

(doing mars bars next time though)

nannycook Fri 21-Jun-13 19:46:22

Yep indeed 5 of calorie laden gorgeous bars of choccyness, mixed together with snap crackle and pop, what could be better, its fab.

Wylye Fri 21-Jun-13 20:57:30

talkingnonsense thanks

CharlotteCollinsismovingon Fri 21-Jun-13 21:04:53

The Mars Bars sound a good alternative.

The first time I melted the butter and golden syrup in the pan, then added chocolate (and might've melted it first in microwave), so I wondered if there was too much heat. Particularly from the golden syrup.

The second time, I heated the butter in the pan, but very very gently. Melted the chocolate in the microwave, fine; added golden syrup, fine; added melted butter, pow! Solid lump of curdled chocolate.

The third time, I put all the ingredients in the microwave together and did 10-second bursts on medium power. And it still went from just melting to solid lump of yukkiness!

I wonder if it's cos it's poor-quality chocolate? Disclaimer: it is for a birthday party, to which I have invited too many small children and don't want to spend toooo much.

CharlotteCollinsismovingon Fri 21-Jun-13 21:13:08

I failed at boiling an egg this morning, too. Couldn't get it soft-boiled.

CatInWellies Fri 21-Jun-13 21:17:08

I read a tip on here to add s good dollop of peanut butter to the chocolate (I just use milk chocolate, I'm a heathen) after melting. Never looked back, it's amazing!!

nannycook Fri 21-Jun-13 21:28:20

Charlotte, just a tip i find works for me, is when you melting anything like chocolate straight in the pan even though your putting it with something else, the heat is too intense, i find if you using butter too to put that in firstly and melt it alittle then add the other ingredients, that way it dissolves ito liquid and doesnt burn and go lumpy.
I make tiffin at least once a week, i melt the butter alittle, then to that i add cocoa powder, syrup and brown sugar( melt it all together then add that to crushed richtea biccies and raisins, also heaven, will give recipe if anyone wants it) flatten it all down in a tin and chill, melt some caburys choc and pour over the top, lusssssssh.

nannycook Fri 21-Jun-13 21:30:32

Sorry for anyone who doesnt know and i'm sure many will know, tiffin is a biscuit cake, even better as theres no cooking involved at all, cant be bad eh?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now