I haven got any baking beans, what can I use?

(18 Posts)
HeadFairy Sun 16-Jun-13 11:40:14

I don't have any dried pulses I can use either. I need to blind bake a tart casing, what can I use? Do I need to blind bake at all?

hurricanewyn Sun 16-Jun-13 11:43:41

Scrunched up tinfoil can work

The blind baking is to make sure it's cooked before you put the filling in, but to make sure it doesn't burn or rise, so I would if possible, just to make sure it's not soggy.

If you have a loose bottomed tray could you use the bottom, if you have no tin foil?

Lomaamina Sun 16-Jun-13 11:45:05

Bliind baking is mainly needed if you don't want the base to be soggy (so really only if you've a wet filling).

I'm assuming you know to line it with tin foil or baking paper, right? Then if you haven't got baking beans or dried pulses, rice should do.

n.b. Saint Delia claims you can do without blind baking. See www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/baking/how-to-bake-a-pastry-case.html. I haven't tried this myself.

HeadFairy Sun 16-Jun-13 11:48:02

Oh thanks, didn't think of rice.

Startail Sun 16-Jun-13 11:52:05

I've used rice.

DM just pricked lemon meringue bases with a fork and baked them open.

MusicalEndorphins Sun 16-Jun-13 11:57:23

I just prick with fork and bake also, it works.

HeadFairy Sun 16-Jun-13 11:58:45

I've pricked as well. It's in the oven now so hopefully it'll turn out ok.

DeathMetalMum Sun 16-Jun-13 12:00:34

I also use rice, I had a bag of basmalti that I couldn't cook right so use that. It can be used again and again so probably worked out cheaper than baking beans for me.

Wylye Fri 21-Jun-13 13:57:25

I've used lentils over a disc of baking paper, or whatever dried beans I had hiding at the back of the cupboard.

NumTumDeDum Fri 21-Jun-13 14:01:54

Heston scrunches up baking parchment and then flattens it out inside the case and then uses copper coins on the basis they conduct the heat better. I haven't tried it though. I have half an idea the pastry might adsorb their flavour but he probably wouldn't have put it in his book if it did.

meddie Thu 27-Jun-13 14:16:58

Rice works as long as you remember the lining of paper, otherwise you spend half an hour picking out grains of rice embedded in your base and trying to convince the kids that 'yes there are supposed to be crunchy bits in the pastry bottom'

ArabellaBeaumaris Thu 27-Jun-13 14:17:50

I've used coins to no ill effect.

BIWI Thu 27-Jun-13 14:19:29

grin meddie - I managed to do that once as well!

Moominsarehippos Thu 27-Jun-13 14:20:26

I use scrunched up foil too.

What are you making [nosey].

I used coins and rice, just dont accidently try and put the coins back in the piggy bank as soon as you take them out of the oven!

FrequentFlyerRandomDent Thu 27-Jun-13 14:27:48

I just do holes with a fork and use nothing with home made pastry. <Stealth boast> It does not rise anyway.

Otherwise terracotta beads? The DC's marbles? Rice is a good idea.

VikingVagine Fri 28-Jun-13 11:09:46

I have a jar of baking lentils (it was all I had to hand at the time, and I've kept them for that use since). You can use pretty much any dried pulse with parchment. My friend uses pebbles which she cleaned.

johnJeffreys Wed 03-Jul-13 14:02:07

I also use lentils.

Top tip: don't forget to put a layer of greaseproof paper down first. It takes ages to remove all the little lentils by hand...........not a mistake I'll make again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now