Help please

(89 Posts)
nannycook Sat 15-Jun-13 19:05:07

I know there a few people on here who can give me some advice, im making a 6inch top tier cake in chocolate with ganache in the middle, can i use it fir the crumb coat?( would it show through the white fondant) or do i just put it in the middle and keep to buttercream for the crumb coat? I need an answer by wed if poss from anyone.

DisneyDiva87 Tue 30-Jul-13 15:05:30

Thanks to inspiration from you guys I bought myself an easy icing book so now I can practice icing my very own cakes from dinosaurs to pony stables and 48 other designs in between!

Hoping that once I get a feel for it I'll be able to improvise my own. I've got the icing tools sitting in my amazon basket waiting for payday.

nannycook Thu 25-Jul-13 12:13:18

i agree if we charged for all the time spent making our cakes they'd cost a fortune, no one would buy them .

MikeLitoris Thu 25-Jul-13 08:31:37

Very true stealth

stealthsquiggle Thu 25-Jul-13 08:14:04

(please ignore random vowels in last post)

<<hits phone>>

stealthsquiggle Thu 25-Jul-13 08:12:45

As with all these things, Mike, cakes included, of I were to price them based on how long they take, no one would buy them sad. Actually, that's not true of all the bags that I make, bit definitely of that one (I got a little carried away wink)

MikeLitoris Thu 25-Jul-13 07:53:17

I love that bag! You should sell them stealth

nannycook Thu 25-Jul-13 07:24:25

welcome to our little family kreecher, your so right there are many peeps on here that give such good advice, and they cover a huge range of things too., Ask away for anything you want to know and someone will help.

Bloody hell, I have never been onto this area of MN, you just came up in active conversations.
You are all so gifted envy

stealthsquiggle Wed 24-Jul-13 23:44:42

No - just presents (mostly for my DC to take to parties.

nannycook Wed 24-Jul-13 23:37:30

thats so good, do you sell your things then?

stealthsquiggle Wed 24-Jul-13 23:00:15

here it is - I am mostly pleased because I didn't copy it from anyone or anything smile

nannycook Wed 24-Jul-13 21:33:48

Thank you stealth, i know your very good at what you do so thats a nice compliment to me. take a photo of it and put it on here so i can see it. i've just sat down after making 12 vintage stlye cupcakes for a customer where i work. puta pic on profile later.

stealthsquiggle Tue 23-Jul-13 22:38:54

Your campervan is so cute, Nannycook - so neat and precise envy

It's really annoying when you forget to take photos - I have a few bags I have done that with (winter I bake, summer I sew...) but the one I have just finished is not going anywhere without pictures because I am so damned pleased with it - only it got so grubby and sweaty in the making that I had to wash it, and it is still drying... (sometimes I wish I could do that with finished cakes, just to smarten them up grin)

nannycook Tue 23-Jul-13 21:36:03

Aw Mike i hope so, thats so annoying, i forgot to take some pics the other day of my owl cupcakes,grrr.x

nannycook Tue 23-Jul-13 21:34:43

Stealth, do you mean my campervan? it was ok i guess, everytime i make something i learn from and would probaly do it different the next time.

stealthsquiggle Tue 23-Jul-13 18:41:03

I am so glad most of my cakes are done in winter.

I was going to say I have done a scooby doo van, but I see you solved your camper van problem a different way smile

MikeLitoris Tue 23-Jul-13 18:34:02

I'm hoping someone would have took a picture. I might have a picture of the cupcakes. Ill try and add it in a min.

DisneyDiva87 Tue 23-Jul-13 15:30:52

Slightly salted grin

Who says I can't listen to advice

Shame about the wedding cake! Would have loved to have seen it.

MikeLitoris Tue 23-Jul-13 15:19:03

Did you use the normal one or the slightly salted?

I made my wedding cake last week and forgot to take my phone for a pic of it set up sad

DisneyDiva87 Tue 23-Jul-13 07:49:31

I finally got a chance to bake last night and I used lurpak for the buttercream. What an amazing difference! Thanks so much guys, it was the one thing that really bugged me that I couldn't get right.

nannycook Sun 14-Jul-13 21:12:00

Thank you. Well you made the effort and thats the main thing. I know what you mean i dread putting the oven on at the mo.

It looked great, I wouldn't know where to start. I've only managed 2 batches of scones for a school coffee morning this week. I was put to shame as one of my pupil's mums sent in 120 beautifully decorated cupcakes!envy It's been far too hot for baking, though I could murder a slice of cake right now.

nannycook Sun 14-Jul-13 20:47:49

Hi Mike, the cake turned out ok although my bus wasnt really that good, i think if it had been bigger it would av looked so much better, and with this weather it didnt help, everything was small on the cake, but she loved it and apparently it tasted fab.

MikeLitoris Thu 11-Jul-13 14:10:27

Thanks disney

That sounds fun nanny

Tbh I dont have many exciting cakes coming up. All a bit plain.

I do have a big candy crush one in Sept. That should be fun to do.

nannycook Thu 11-Jul-13 12:50:28

Oh look forward to seeing that then. Thats my first roses so pleased wih them. On to the next cake, anniversary cake with a difference, she wants a bus( all small things on top of a cake) suitcase, passports and a wine bucket and bottle for a diamond wedding, cant make it up can you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now