Help please

(89 Posts)
nannycook Sat 15-Jun-13 19:05:07

I know there a few people on here who can give me some advice, im making a 6inch top tier cake in chocolate with ganache in the middle, can i use it fir the crumb coat?( would it show through the white fondant) or do i just put it in the middle and keep to buttercream for the crumb coat? I need an answer by wed if poss from anyone.

nannycook Fri 21-Jun-13 19:07:56

Awww thank you Mike, the damed thing got me so stressed must admit, and i have another 5 cakes to make in the next month, which should be a breeze after this one, ha ha. Dont say its good if you dont think it i,iuts been a learning curve if i'm honest and next time i would do things soooo differently. Now all i have to do is get it there, aaaarrrrrgh.x

MikeLitoris Fri 21-Jun-13 19:12:48

Honestly. It is very good. I wouldnt lie. Has the bride seen it?

I've got loads of cakes the next few weeks too. I'm trying to limit myself to one a week. It's so hard to keep up with work, the dc and cakes sometimes.

nannycook Fri 21-Jun-13 19:32:08

Nooooo, she didnt want to, i did a suprise for her too, because she loves my lemon cake i made her a 6 inch just for her and put her name on it and some flowers in the same colour as the big cake, then she can take it home with her and domolish it all by her self. Working fulltime i try and do one aweek, and look after a 4 yr old on the odd day till he goes to school in Sept.

Dont suppose you've made a VW camper van have you? Thats my next cake for a week today.

Wow that cake is fab! I am really impressed and wish I was as good as you. Have a lovely day tomorrow.

MikeLitoris Fri 21-Jun-13 20:47:30

No. Nothing as ambitious as a camper van.

Have you looked on youtube for tutorials?

I bet she loves the lemon cake. I'm doing a lemon wedding cake next month. Just an 8in round and cupcakes.

nannycook Fri 21-Jun-13 21:00:21

2ofsted, thats nice of you to say so. Have a go, you dont know what you can or cant do till you try. As long as i get it there in one piece i'll be a happy bunny!!

nannycook Fri 21-Jun-13 21:03:21

Mike, its my favourite too, i cut into 3 layers, put lemon curd in the bottom layer, then fresh lemon in the buttrcream then drizzle lemon curd on top of that , yummy. What will you do you cupcakes like?

MikeLitoris Fri 21-Jun-13 21:38:15

I think she is having all lemon. Will fill with home made lemon curd and top with butter cream.

She is having a cadbury purple and white colour scheme, so I'm a little worried about the buttercream not being white enough. She wants similar to the last wedding I did (pics on my profile) so a mix of swirls and fondant decs.

nannycook Fri 21-Jun-13 22:14:08

That sounds fab. Do you buy the wilton whitner? I use that all the time and beat my buttrecream for about 10mins Mike.

nannycook Fri 21-Jun-13 22:17:40

Lovely pics Mike. What are the cream thingys on the first two pics?

MikeLitoris Fri 21-Jun-13 22:42:16

They are just fondant. They were a practice for the wedding cupcakes.

I have the wilton whitner. Not used yet though.

I find if I use lurpak butter and leave the mixer on for 10-15 mins its pretty much white anyway.

nannycook Sun 23-Jun-13 11:50:08

Hi Mike, just an update, the bride said the cake was amazing, so pleased, so many many lovely comments, its all gone so that cant be a bad thing i guess.x

nannycook Sun 23-Jun-13 14:29:18

If you go on FB and put Barbara Herbert in theres a few nicer pics on there Mike.

MikeLitoris Sun 23-Jun-13 17:32:24

Thats lovely.

How was the wedding? The weather wasn't brilliant was it?

On to the camper van next then?

nannycook Sun 23-Jun-13 17:42:41

No not really, it didnt rain thp but very windy and so cold, i had a wrap so it wasnt too bad. She looked lovely, i had a special thank you fo making her cake and an official photo with the cake, bride and groom, thatmade me feel so special, and a prezzie, 18mths subscription to Good Food mag, bless them , oh yes and a hangover, not nice but worth it, ha ha. I feel i can make anything now, lol, yep campervan next week.!!

MikeLitoris Sun 23-Jun-13 18:05:45

I got a name check in the speeches too at. I was very blush. Plus some lovely champers and chocs.

Keep me updated on the campervan.

I have a request for a skydiving cake. No idea what to do with that?

nannycook Sun 23-Jun-13 19:40:39

Oh flip, where would you start with that one? Have no idea, the campervan's enough of a challenge for me at the moment and thats for this Fri, arrrghhh.

nannycook How did the campervan turn out?

nannycook Tue 02-Jul-13 06:41:43

2ofsted, when i finally got my act togther after the wedding cake i rung the lady to find out how many were attending the party, when i found out it was for 90 people i thought no way would a cake campervan be anywhere near enought, so i made a 12 inch jam and cream sponge then made a campervan out of icing and put it in the top of the cake on a piece of grass with a road, thanfully she loved it! On to my next one for the end of the week, a first b'day cake,lol.
How you doing? anything going on with you?
Will post some pics now, also made owl cupcakes, very easy to make.

MikeLitoris Tue 02-Jul-13 15:48:10

I love the camper! Did you get it from a tutorial or anything?

Very good indeed.

nannycook Tue 02-Jul-13 21:36:58

Hiya Mike, no not really, just googled campervan images and up they came, just fancied one and went from there. Do that for your skydiving cake, i'll be interested to see what comes up for that, do you have any ideas yet?

Love the cake!
I went back to using cold butter and eggs as well as beating the life out of the mix after adding the flour and am back to making great cakes. confused

Have not baked for a week due to end of term madness but need to plan DDs cakes. I need to do 3 but not sure what yet although she has asked for another giant cupcake. Not looking forward to that as it was a pain to cook due to the size of the mould.

nannycook Wed 03-Jul-13 06:47:51

mmm, i haven't cooked the dreaded giant cupcake yet, i do worry about cooking a cake so deep, but saying that lots of peeps do so cant be too much of an issue, just find the right one for you and stick to it i guess, let me know how you get on and pics please.

I have a first b'day cake for this weekend, a single tier the week after and 60 anniversary week after that, so busy busy.x

MikeLitoris Wed 03-Jul-13 06:57:35

Still havent planned the skydiving one yet. I'll start looking for inspiration this week.

2ofsted. I make quite a lot of giant cups and have a really nice choc recipe if you would like it?. Always cooks to perfection.

Im having a cake break for a few weeks. Then I have some princess cupcakes, a wedding cake on the 17th and a betty boop single tier at the end of the month. I've also got a big candy crush cake to do in sept. That will be my first topsy turvy one. Really looking forward to it all.

mike your chocolate cake recipe would be great. I tried a madeira last year and it was really dense and tasteless. I have a silicon mould that's in 2 pieces if it makes a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now