Has anyone tried colouring fondant icing by warming it then beating it with the colour??

(10 Posts)
CloudOfStarlings Mon 03-Jun-13 15:34:13

Dh tells me this is possible.. warming some white fondant icing in microwave, then adding food colouring and mixing..

Have you tried it? What were the results? I have a magimix and electric whisk..what's best to use?
I'm wanting a pale blue if that makes a difference..

Damnautocorrect Mon 03-Jun-13 15:36:39

Are we talking runny fondant or sugar paste?

I havent tried this because I cant see why you need to.

I use sugarflair colour pastes and knead a little into the fondant.

MikeLitoris Mon 03-Jun-13 15:39:32

I wouldnt try this in my precious kenwood.

Kneading for a few minutes with a little gel colour would be easy enough I think.

Damnautocorrect Mon 03-Jun-13 16:00:28

You couldn't buy coloured so used to just knead it in.

CloudOfStarlings Mon 03-Jun-13 17:04:02

I'm talking sugarpaste. I haven't used gel colours before, might try to get some tomorrow then. I haven't been able to find the right shade of blue in a ready-coloured icing and I also need quite a large amount so didn't fancy kneading <lazy>

MikeLitoris Mon 03-Jun-13 18:29:54

Sugarflair ice blue (I think) is a lovely colour. Just use a tiny bit on a tooth pick to start then add more as needed

nannycook Mon 03-Jun-13 22:27:52

Cloud, i also used Peacock blue powder to get the right colour.

stealthsquiggle Mon 03-Jun-13 22:32:25

I have done, with the dough hook, but my KitchenAid has an override thingummy so that it can't kill itself in the process. Otherwise, I would be very cautious.

lougle Mon 03-Jun-13 22:58:15

I mixed 3.5kg of white fondant icing with pink sugarflair colouring today. You don't need the microwave. Just break it into manageable chunks, knead each one until soft, then mix together, add a tiny bit of colouring, and knead through until uniform in colour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now