A what?! DS wants a peregrine falcon birthday cake

(15 Posts)
CMOTDibbler Mon 27-May-13 22:07:10

My ds wanted a Beast Quest cake this year. I photoshopped a book cover and got it printed on icing - he was delighted, and it saved me a lot of work for something looked at by children for about 10 seconds

nannycook Mon 27-May-13 22:06:01

Manchester, i like that one.

Manchesterhistorygirl Mon 27-May-13 22:01:38

Had a search and found this blog. It might just be the exact thing.
www.mamawithideas.com/2012/03/raptors-birthday-party-for-birds-of.html

nannycook Mon 27-May-13 21:54:41

Limelight, i can understand how you feel, i had to make Mike Wasowski for my grandsons 4th b'day sat just gone, i was toying with making it round or making flat on the board,.i went with the latter as i've had 4cakes to make, if your interested i just put my pics on my profile page, see if its along the same lines as you want, may or may not be if some help to you.

WeAreEternal Mon 27-May-13 21:47:11

When I was trying to figure out how to do DS's birthday cake I found a post on Pinterest about how you can recreate literally any image in icing really easily.

Basically you print out or draw the image you want at the exact size you want it in icing,
You lay the image on something flat and movable, such as a tray or a chopping board (preferably something that will fit easily into your freezer) secure the paper with tape.
Then put a layer of cling film or thin grease proof paper (that you can see the image through) over the paper. Tape that down too.
Then mix up the colours you need in icing and use a piping bag to trace over the image and basically make an icing copy if the image.
When it's doe stick it into the freezer, board and all, until it a frozen solid.
When you need it you simply peel off the cling film/grease proof paper (carefully) and place the frozen icing picture onto your cake.
Once it has defrosted it can be served. (I have found it defrosts better in the fridge over a couple of hours.)

Since finding this method I have used it at least a dozen times, it's fab, I even did an icing copy of my friends wedding portrait for her aniversary cake.
It's really easy and with a bit of practice the results are fab.

DumSpiroSpero Mon 27-May-13 21:41:22

Would this image be something you could work from?

Good luck!

BeyonceCastle Mon 27-May-13 21:29:55

actually forget ohp pen - you can personalise it online as part of the design.

4 inches wide - should fit into a nest nicely and he keeps it as a memento

Good luck xxx

BeyonceCastle Mon 27-May-13 21:26:45

www.zazzle.co.uk/kestrel_cake_toppers-256791674256867095

a bit pricy but saves you hassle - you can chocolate feather ice the rest of cake or make a nest with choc fingers and marzipan eggs then put this in the middle which DC can then keep for posterity - ohp permanent pen and you could write a message on once it is taken out the cake.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 27-May-13 21:14:33

DS (21) had a Peruvian Spectacled Owl called Percy in his room recently, he was imprinting it (apparently). He has also had a girlfriend called Jill, at least she found DS attractive. DS wasn't quite so sure for Jill was a female kestrel who loved DS like her own husband and followed him round, pecking at his ankles and squawking loudly for attention. He also helped train a Cara Cara to pick-pocket. He will soon have a Lanner or Peregrine falcon in the shed.

Yes, he really is a falconer.

Limelight Mon 27-May-13 21:03:02

Hmmm I hadn't thought about a cake topper but I'll investigate that...

Caja - clearly DS and you would get on like a house on fire. He tried to convince DH recently that we could keep a barn owl in the shed.

AnnaBegins Mon 27-May-13 21:02:43

Brilliant idea, I want a falcon cake! Good luck with that...

Caja you must persuade your DH - I had hawks as a kid and they were awesome, fairly easy to look after and great fun to fly! (Get a harris hawk if you're just starting out - dead easy to train and don't need to be trained to a lure or anything, just to the glove).

CajaDeLaMemoria Mon 27-May-13 20:57:33

Your DS is amazing.

I love falcons. I'm just working on getting DP to let me have a bird of prey...

Hawkmoth Mon 27-May-13 20:55:19

Could you get away with ordering a custom cake topper off EBay? None of my family like fondant icing which makes it all much easier for me.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 27-May-13 20:54:03

Good luck with that. Future recliner on your hands by any chance?

Limelight Mon 27-May-13 20:50:24

shockblushwinewinewinewine

Now I'm reasonably able when it comes to knocking together a birthday cake but not amazing. I'll have a go at most things though.

I'll admit that this has me totally stumped.

I found this picture online and wondered about trying to recreate the head (with a bit added on for the beak etc):

www.birdorable.com/meet/peregrine-falcon/

But I'd really appreciate any help or ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now