Quantities for 10" round cake tin. I am going insane!

(8 Posts)
nannycook Mon 27-May-13 21:37:51

Gwendoline, maybe abit late now, i checked out a cake book while our shopping today, and the quantities fir a 10square was in this book, very naughty if me but i wrote it down

Its 625grms of s/r flour, butter and caster sugar, and 12 eggs, i have to cake to make this week and one if them is a 10 inch, happy days.

unlucky83 Wed 22-May-13 22:17:31

Basic quantities for a victoria sandwich 1 egg to 2oz sugar, 2oz butter and 2oz (SR) flour
For a 10 inch, (reasonably thick) I would use 12oz flour -but if your are replacing 6oz of that flour with 1 oz of cocoa I'm wondering if you don't normally use more flour -make a larger quantity -I'd be worried that might curdle (not enough flour/cocoa)?
(actually recently I've been using the weighing the eggs method - weigh eggs in shells and use the same quantity of butter, sugar and flour -so for 12oz flour - you weigh 6 eggs in shells -but use the same amount of flour etc as that weight and I've been really really impressed - guess allows for differences in egg sizes...)

Smartiepants79 Wed 22-May-13 21:53:42

Mary berry says 8 oz and 4 eggs in 2 tins to make a 8 inch cake.
I think that's a big cake! I use half that to make a 7 inch in one tin.
If you are just doing one tin I would go for 8 maybe 10 oz?
Not that helpful!! grin

LikeTheStuffYouHangUp Wed 22-May-13 21:48:10

What size cake does the quantities you have make? I can work backwards of its not an 8 inch round?

LikeTheStuffYouHangUp Wed 22-May-13 21:45:37

Take a basic recipe (8 inch round) and do a 10 inch round do 1 and a half quantities.

Is that any help?

Victoria sandwich. So annoying, I know I had a list of quantities somewhere hmm

unlucky83 Wed 22-May-13 20:55:29

What kind of sponge?
Victoria sandwich type ( ie cream fat and sugar together, add eggs gradually, add flour)
Or Genoise type - whisk eggs and sugar together over heat and fold in flour (fold in melted butter at end if you want) ?

About to make a chocolate sponge for a birthday. I want a chocolate sandwich in a 10" round tin and I'm buggered if I can find my list of quantities that I've previously used. Does anyone know?

My chocolate cake is dead simple btw, for 6oz flour I sub 1oz cocoa and it always comes out lovely so I don't need another recipe IYSWIM, just how much of everything. TIA smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now