Chocolate chip cookie help please!

(12 Posts)
Ganetgob Wed 22-May-13 17:40:08

I made some chocolate chip cookies today and I am so disappointed with them. They have a very cakey texture which isn't what I want. I searched online for a new recipe because the last time I made some, the same thing happened.

There are obviously hundreds of recipes online, but I want a tried and tested recipe which will knock my socks off.

I'm looking for a soft cookie which isn't cakey if possible! Hopefully one of you lovely ladies will have a great recipe for me!

225g soft butter
200g brown sugar
175g caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp orange juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
350g plain white flour
1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
Pinch salt
Grated rind 1-2 oranges
110g choc chips
A few chopped raisins

Cream butter and sugar in a bowl till light and fluffy.

Beat in the eggs a bit at a time. Add juice and extract.

Mix in the rest of the ingredients.

Sit dough on lightly floured board. Roll into sausage shape the diameter of the cookie. Lay the roll on baking paper. Wrap round like a cracker.

Chill for at least 1 hour.

Slice off 1 cm at a time. Remove paper. Place well apart on greased baking sheet - they will spread. Bake 180 or gas 4 for 10 mins. Let cool on the tray for 4 mins before putting on wire rack.

The dough will last up to 2 weeks in the fridge (yes of course it willgrin)

This is a Sam stern recipe and is the best one I've used.

Let me know how you get onsmile

JamInMyWellies Wed 22-May-13 18:20:06

ooh I fancy this, just checked the larder I only have dark brown sugar that would work, yes?

Don't see why not. Sugar is sugar. It's. not like making a cake is it?

Ganetgob Wed 22-May-13 20:49:52

Thanks very much! I'll have to wait until I next go shopping but I will definitely be trying this! smile

JamInMyWellies Wed 22-May-13 20:52:07

Currently chilling in the fridge, I also added marshmallows for added gooeyness.

Hope they've turned out ok?

LynetteScavo Wed 22-May-13 22:25:49

I am yet to find the holy grail of cookie recipes, but I think the more flour, the more cakey.

TickledOnion Thu 23-May-13 15:35:08

These are quick, delicious and ridiculously easy. They are soft cookies but i don't think they are cakey. www.rivercottage.net/recipes/ten-minute-chocolate-chip-cookies/

OldBeanbagz Thu 23-May-13 16:21:22

I always use the Be-Ro recipe and they work a treat. It makes 18 cookies and we've been known to eat them in half a day blush

ramonaquimby Thu 23-May-13 16:23:55

Search for 'vintage choc chip cookies' on bbc good food website. Trick is to take out of the oven just before you think they are ready.......they will be v chewy and soft!!

phoenixfox Sun 26-May-13 12:19:33

Op Can I ask for your cakey recipe?! I'm looking for a cookie recipe that has a more biscuity texture. I think all the ones I've tried have way too much sugar. They're quite dark looking and soft and chewy. I get a pain in my teeth from them. Of course the dc adore them but I wouldn't mind them having less sugar!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now