The Idiots guide to baking bread.

(33 Posts)

Ok, I can cook anything pretty much anything, cakes, meals form scratch, tricky desserts but I can't do bread blush

Can someone please be kind enough to give me the simplest recipe there is for an everyday loaf. I need one that I can't cock up.
I don't have a breadmaker and I'm trying to save money so don't really want to shell out on one.
Care to help a lady anyone? smile

MisForMumNotMaid Wed 22-May-13 18:57:30

Good luck. You will get there.

The recipe I use is roughly the same but with 1 teaspoon salt and a tablespoon of sugar.

Turned out amazing! I'm sadly happy that I made a successful loaf. grin Thanks

MisForMumNotMaid Wed 22-May-13 21:56:13

Yeh!

UptoapointLordCopper Thu 23-May-13 07:42:52

smile

carolinemoon Thu 23-May-13 16:41:43

I've just discovered Dan Lepard's "easiest loaf in the world" on the guardian website and it is fab, I make double and use a "pullman" loaf tin so it makes a full size loaf that is the perfect texture for sandwiches etc. best white loaf recipe I have found.

Breadandwine Sat 25-May-13 21:08:01

One of the easiest methods of making bread is the 'Overnight, no-knead' bread, where the ingredients - flour, salt, water and yeast (with optional olive oil) are simply mixed in a food storer and left overnight on the worktop.

The following morning (or evening) the dough is folded a few times, shaped and left to prove before baking. Takes about 10 minutes once you're in a routine - and fits itself around your schedule.

But the bread I make in my teaching sessions (I'm a breadmaking tutor) is:
1 mug strong flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/3rd mug lukewarm water
1 heaped teaspoon fresh yeast (or a level tsp of dried active yeast)

Mix together into a soft squishy dough, knead about 20 times to distribute the ingredients, and shape into rolls. Leave to prove until it has increased in size, then bake for 10-15 minutes at 220C.

In the last 25 days I've taught around 150 people - most of them new to breadmaking - using this method.

Here's a post on my blog outlining three ways to make a loaf - including the no-knead loaf above:

nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/basic-loaf-of-bread.html

Now I'm off to make a batch of Chelseas for my mum in law to take away with her tomorrow - she can't get enough of them, eating 3 yesterday!

eljay231 Sun 21-Jul-13 10:21:10

Google 'tangzhong bread'.
It is amazingly soft & keeps well. Best if you have a stand mixer though, as dough is extremely sticky.

Also, for sandwich bread a Pullman pan is essential. Look at the Bakery Bits website.

Bearleigh Tue 20-Aug-13 21:57:14

I second the recommendation of the overnight no knead method. I am pretty good at traditional methods but got a book called 'no need to knead' out of the library and have made some wonderful French bread and focaccia using its recipes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now