Fruit cake for wedding crisis!

(9 Posts)
nannycook Sun 05-May-13 18:40:34

Same saga, i made my fruit cake which i'm very pleased with, however when i moved it, it cracked in a few places, when its time to marzipan it will i get away with glueing it together with apricot jam? will that be ok when i put the marzipan will it stay together? its a big 12 inch, bloody cakes difficult enough without that happening.

nannycook Mon 06-May-13 19:18:38

desperately in need of a tiny teeny bit of advice from someone who i know would have an answer for me, please!!

extracrunchy Mon 06-May-13 19:31:56

Bump!

nannycook Tue 07-May-13 21:25:34

please, please, some one out there is bound to give me some advice on this, any help will do, i really dont want to have eat another fruit cake cos i messed the first one up.

PhyllisDoris Tue 07-May-13 23:06:51

Is it just cracked, or broken into pieces?
If its cracked, just marzipan it - will be fine.

nannycook Wed 08-May-13 08:02:08

Phyllis its in 4 big pieces, but they are still all together like a jigsaw really, thats what i was wondering if i smeared apricot jam thinly to act like glue so it stick it back together then marzipan as i put it on the board intended for it, it cracked in the beginning as i put brandy on it, now its on the cake board, i really dont want to make another one as the wedding is in 6 weeks time. Thanks for replying.

PhyllisDoris Wed 08-May-13 13:18:51

I'd be worried that the slices would break along the joins if you glue it back together, so you wouldn't get "clean" slabs iyswim.
Because its for such an important occasion, tbh I'd start all over again, and eat the first one yourself. Use it as a taster so you can check it tastes ok.

nannycook Wed 08-May-13 17:49:59

Yep thats what i thought you'd say and if i'm honest i knew that too, thank you though Phyllis.

PhyllisDoris Wed 08-May-13 22:32:44

No problem. I think it's best to start again for such an important cake hmm
If you can't face eating the first one, I'm sure the birds would love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now