Scones - any help please

(22 Posts)
FattyMcChubster Thu 02-May-13 17:15:12

Want to bake scones. Have only ever really baked cakes. How easy are they? Have found a recipe on Bbc good food, anyone used that? Any good?
Any recipes gladly accepted.
Also, how long do they keep? Want them for DD's party but not much time onthe day.
Thanks!

I use this recipe, wok quickly, heat your baking tray before you put the scones on. They need minimal handling just a bit of a squish together once you turn the mix out the bowl. Dip your cutter in flour before cutting them out. When you egg wash them try not drip down the sides or they will rise wonky.

Miss the last part of the question - the ones I make keep fresh for about 2 days but can be frozen very successfully. They only take 20mins from mixing to cooked so i make fresh on the day i need them.

I bought a pastry cutter like this as it keeps everything cool stops you over working it.

Don't roll the dough out too thinly - it needs to be a good 3-4cm thick to get nice tall scones.

starfishmummy Thu 02-May-13 17:58:56

Best made on the day imho.

FattyMcChubster Thu 02-May-13 19:59:12

Excellent, thank you all.
Might have a little practice then bake first thing in the morning on the day if it works out!

Make them on the day or freeze them. Roll them out thick, don't twist the cutter and squidge the sides up once you've cut them. But super easy - DS1 can make them and he's 6.

nannycook Thu 02-May-13 23:11:13

Blueberry, how does that work then, stupid question i know, cant work it work though.

FattyMcChubster Fri 03-May-13 07:26:16

Nanny I think it's for kneading the dough so it doesn't get warm from your hands?

nannycook Fri 03-May-13 18:20:05

Aw thanks fattyMc felt i should know and didnt, ha ha.x

FattyMcChubster Fri 03-May-13 20:06:10

They're in the oven.....

FattyMcChubster Fri 03-May-13 20:23:40

Right, what did I do wrong?!
They were ok but quite doughy in the middle? Not crumbly like I expected.
Any ideas?

How hot was your oven? It needs to be 200 degrees for about 12/15 mins. If they were dough then they needed more cooking time.

FattyMcChubster Fri 03-May-13 21:53:34

220 for about 12 minutes. Maybe that's where I went wrong. Can you over handle them? Felt like I was rubbing for ages!

The rubbing in isn't where you make them doughy. if you mix too much when you add the milk/water they go tough and hard, not light and fluffy. Doughy is more likely raw.

freelancegirl Fri 03-May-13 22:02:57
FattyMcChubster Fri 03-May-13 22:18:23

Oh god, I've eaten raw scones?! Bleurgh.
Ok, I'll try again and cook for longer.
Thank you all!

Wylye Fri 21-Jun-13 14:36:37

Hello Fatty - how did your second attempt go?
If they're nicely golden brown on top but you're not sure if they're cooked thru, get one out of the oven and knock on the bottom of it - should sound hollow when done.

I've just been having a look around on Baking to torture myself - on a bloody boring wheat free diet til I get test result back. Booooo.

I shall vicariously bake thru you lot. grin

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 21-Jun-13 14:39:13

I use that recipe and find the scones always take nearer to 15 minutes to cook.

VikingVagine Fri 21-Jun-13 21:19:12

Bbc good food recipe works very well, a few important tips are:

- Blitz the dry ingredients in a food processor, add the liquid and blitz very briefly until it just holds together.

- DO NOT OVER WORK THE DOUGH!!!! Lightly roll it out onto a floured work top, keep quite thick.

- Cut straight down (no twisting!)

- when you brush with egg or milk, be careful not to let it dribble down the side.

Once you get the hang of it you can whip up a fresh batch of scones in about 20 minutes start to finish. Deffinately need to be eaten on the day within the hour .

lolalotta Mon 24-Jun-13 06:57:42

Agree with Viking..best eaten within the hour! grin

Agree with all the above, as little handling as possible ince the liquid is in is key, I either do mine in the food processor or use a knife to bring it all together, then just pat it out gently before cutting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now