Bakewell tart with sponge on top instead of ground almonds?

(7 Posts)
Bakingnovice Mon 29-Apr-13 09:59:13

Is this possible? I hate ground almonds so can I just use a 100g of sr flour/sugar/butter 2 egg sponge recipe on top of the pastry?

amazingmumof6 Mon 29-Apr-13 11:32:14

never made one, so I don't know, but would you try copped walnuts pistacchioes or hazelnuts instead? or coconuts? I'm sure any of those would be fine, or a mix of them

nannycook Mon 29-Apr-13 12:20:34

Baking novice, ground almonds gives it a different texture, more dense, but i guess you could always just bake ordinary sponge and use essense to give the bakewell flavour .

Bakingnovice Tue 30-Apr-13 08:53:05

Thanks some good ideas. Nanny, it's not really a bakewell tart really without the almonds, it's just a jam tart. I think I might go ahead and try it with ground almonds but do half almonds half flour do the almond flavour is not too powerful.

showerhead Tue 07-May-13 11:04:24

www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/mary-berry/bakewell-tart-recipe

Mary Berry's recipe without ground almonds.

also see some of the comments on here re not using almonds
www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/apr/17/how-make-perfect-bakewell-tart

Lilymaid Tue 07-May-13 11:15:16

You could substitute either semolina or ground rice for the almonds to get a similar texture.

PhyllisDoris Tue 07-May-13 23:08:42

Without almonds it will be what my granny used to call a brama cake. Will be fine, but not a bake well tart.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now