Will somebody who knows about yeast please answer my stupid question?

(15 Posts)

They'll probably be more like chapattis.

Just roll thin and cook on a hot flat plate or frying pan until golden and slightly bubbled on one side, then flip over and repeat. No oil requiredgrin

IllegalYoniFarm Sat 27-Apr-13 15:00:29

Ooh, you are bloody good you lot! I looked at it and thought... Mumsnet will know!

thanks

The new dough is now under construction!

Pizzas for tea! Oh... And naan breads!

don't throw it in the bin !!

just make it into shapes and cook it - you'll have Naan Bread!!

the stuff you've got has to be activated first.

you can get stuff that you put straight in, but it will always tell you on the packet what to do

IllegalYoniFarm Sat 27-Apr-13 14:56:37

Yep smile

Yellow tin?

IllegalYoniFarm Sat 27-Apr-13 14:49:41

Allinson... Yes, it's very flat! grin

Which yeast is it - brand?

I think you have just made flat bread! (Sorry, not helpful)

IllegalYoniFarm Sat 27-Apr-13 14:47:46

Ahh, cross posts, nope, looks like that dough is headed for the bin!

IllegalYoniFarm Sat 27-Apr-13 14:46:58

Ahhh, thankyou ever so much, so if, hypothetically I had made some dough before reading the yeast instructions, just added it dry will it eventually do the same job or must it be activated before you add it?

i do not have a massive ball of dough sat in a bowl in my kitchen which is not magically doubleing in size

grin

Hand hot water ie when you put your little finger in the water is the same temperature

Use the yeast water for the liquid in your dough. No other liquid needed.

You get 2 types of dried yeast - 1 that you mix into the flour and then add the water, the other is activated by adding to warm water (and sometimes sugar) before adding the yeasty liquid to the flour, salt and oil.

no, use the water that you are going to use in your recipe.

it doesn't have to be exactly a pint.

and make sure your water is lukewarm.

IllegalYoniFarm Sat 27-Apr-13 14:42:07

Right, so i am making dough, i have dried yeast, the recipe states 15g of yeast (dried)
On the yeast package it says reactivate with water before use (states 1 pint of water, add sugar and 5g of yeast, stir and leave for 15 mins then use as directed in the recipe)

But... Surely then I have 1 extra pint of water in my dough?!

There is probably a simple answer to this and i am being dense but its one of those days!
Thanks in advance smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now