Fruit scones - where am I going wrong?

(10 Posts)
DorisShutt Fri 26-Apr-13 07:15:50

I would love to make fruit scones that are light and fluffy and rise beautifully with just a hint of crumbliness when you slather them in apply butter and jam.

I make scones that are quite heavy, don't rise, and leave a tingly taste in the mouth.

The recipe I use belonged to my great aunt and the scones were amazing, but I can't replicate this! The recipe is (sorry, it's in old fashioned measurements!)
8oz SR flour
Pinch baking powder (usually about 1/8 teaspoon if I measured)
1.5oz butter or marg
1.5oz Sugar
Pinch salt (same as baking powder)
1 egg
4oz Mixed fruit
Milk to get to right wetness (slightly damp and sticky - use a floured surface to deal with)

I never roll out, it's gently pressed with my fingers until it's about 1/2" thick and then cut out - the scones are then egg washed and baked for 7-10mins at 220c until golden.

So, where am I going wrong?

SpringMoreLikeSag Fri 26-Apr-13 07:30:53

The tingle will be from the baking powder, I don't put any in mine (and they are fluffy).
You can substitute a spoonful of milk for a spoonful of soured cream.
I don't have my recipe to hand but will try and dig it out later.
I am obsessed with a huge fan of scones and have spent a long time getting them right!
I've tried kneading them (a la Hollywood) and although they were ok I still subscribe to the less is better with scones.
Also, have you tried lemonade scones - I haven't but a friend who is a great baker gave me some a while ago and they were lush.

Grumpla Fri 26-Apr-13 08:29:03

When did you buy the baking powder? I went through about four or five baking disasters before realising mine was about twelve years old...

DorisShutt Fri 26-Apr-13 09:01:18

No, it's in date - I use it for chocolate chip cookies so it's not that.

I suspect it's the fact that I'm using it at all. Great aunt's recipe just had "flour" on it, so I do wonder if she used plain flour and added baking powder; I just assumed it would be self raising as that's what all the recipes use now.

May try a batch without it and swap the milk for buttercream - probably not for a few days as DS is pestering me to go play in the garden!

Goldensunnydays81 Fri 26-Apr-13 09:10:36

I made the best scones I have ever made the other day after years of disaster using the Mary berry recipe which I had googled.They were only for plain scones but I'm sure you could add some fruit! They were very light and fluffy too grin

TwentyTinyToes Mon 29-Apr-13 03:08:44

Another vote for Mary Berry scones. Also, in my experience the dough needs to be really wet, they need to be thick before you cut them out and when you do cut them out you need a clean cut, any twisting may result in the scone not rising evenly.

Thumbwitch Mon 29-Apr-13 03:15:28

This is my easy scone recipe - it's lovely and light and makes crumbly fruit scones that are great. (My grandma's recipe never worked for me either, they were always heavy):

8oz plain flour
1 1/2 heaped tsp baking powder
2oz COLD butter
1/2 tsp salt
2oz sultanas
1/4 pt COLD milk
Oven at 200 deg C

Sieve dry ingredients into a bowl, add cut up cold butter and rub in until it looks like breadcrumbs. Add sultanas and then milk, stir in with a knife. Knead dough very lightly (it will be very sticky and squishy).
Roll out to 3/4" thick and cut, place on greased/floured baking tray. Glaze top with milk (and/or beaten egg) and bake near the top of the oven for 15 minutes.

Works every time - and I used to hate making scones before I discovered this recipe! smile

Thumbwitch Mon 29-Apr-13 03:17:06

I have been known to add 1oz of caster sugar to the mix with no ill effect as well, just to sweeten them slightly. But with the amount of jam that goes on them usually, this isn't really needed grin

I love scones but havent tried them for years because I just couldnt get them right.

Going to try again this week!

MooseBeTimeForSpring Mon 29-Apr-13 04:53:20

Cut them thick. I have better success with a smooth cutter rather than a crinkly one.

Ooh, I want a scone now ..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now