What do you use a food processor for and do I need one?

(7 Posts)
HuevosRancheros Fri 26-Apr-13 12:24:41

I have a Kenwood Prospero which is a stand mixer with liqudiser/blender and food processer attachment.

I only use the food processor for making pastry or any recipe that needs you to 'breadcrumb' the flour and butter mixture. Other people seem to be able to do this in their stand mixer, but I can't for some reason. I could use the processor for grating and slicing, but the washing up involved means it's easier to do by hand. I guess if you regularly grate large amounts of stuff, it could be useful.

Laquila Thu 25-Apr-13 20:38:56

I actually don't know if it dices, I'm afraid! There's probably a disc you can get for that but am not sure how it would work.

FWIW, I think the blender on my Kenwood whizzes soups better than the Magimix.

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 25-Apr-13 20:16:39

Yes its very first world. We need water, food, warmth etc.

But I don't actually understand the function sufficiently to be able to work out whether it would be a labour saving device to free up time for other activities or a gimmick that I wouldn't use.

Carlag73 Thu 25-Apr-13 19:56:43

I think that if you need to ask if you need something then you really don't unless by "need" you mean want to conform.

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 25-Apr-13 19:15:12

Hmm. This is what my Dsis says. I sort of feel I can grate with the kitchenaid and don't want another gadget that gathers dust, but I can see a food processor would be cleaner to grate/ slice with.

Does yours dice?

Laquila Thu 25-Apr-13 19:11:03

I have a Magimix Compact food processor and a Kenwood Chef mixer and I use the former much more than the latter.

Mostly use the processor for hummous; grating carrot, apple, and cheese; slicing potatoes for dauphinoise/hot-pot; making pastry, scones and breadcrumbs; chopping herbs; making hollandaise or mayo etc.

I could probably do a lot of the we've with the Kenwood, but I just find the Magimix more user-friendly.

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 25-Apr-13 18:49:23

I have kitchenaid that I go second hand off ebay £120 bargain. Its loved and well used. I have the gratter/ slicer attachment and the pasta shapes attachment, also well used.

I make lots of soups and like finely diced meat/ veg in them and it occurred to me that I'd like a dicer device. Do food processors do this?
What else do you use yours for, any make recommendations and should i save up for one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now