just "volunteeted" to make a 30th birthdsy cake.....

(37 Posts)

Not for a huge party or anything. Just a "gathering". So, I have two options (as I'm not brilliant but these are what I do well.
1) Victoria sponge cake, icing as in fondant with "something" on the top.
2) chocolate cake with chocolate ganache.
If I did either what could I decorate them with. Which would be nicest. I'm beginning to panic!

Shitting hell, horrific title ,apologies. Should read "just volunteered to make a 30th birthday cake"

LowLevelWhinging Mon 08-Apr-13 20:33:03

A vote for chocolate cake here, but which would the birthday girl/boy favour?

Chocolate - I find fondant icing too sweet - and I think I am not alone. Not sure what you should decorate with. Could you write "Happy 30th Birthday Name" with an icing pen/bag & nozzle?

She'd just be thrilled with a cake. Think she'd prefer chocolate but at a dinner the other week I did a chocolate ganache pie (like a cheesecake base) and worry its too "samey" do you think it'd be ok?

ScienceRocks Tue 09-Apr-13 16:58:15

Do the chocolate cake with the ganache, then sprinkle it with hundreds and thousands and glitter decs. Put the candles in and she'll be delighted!

nannycook Tue 09-Apr-13 18:46:52

Inthe , do what your most comfortable doing, keep it simple, i guess with a fondant cake you can go to town with some decs, and theres so many cutters out there that makes things so easy now, flowers, blossems, butterflies etc, just have a go,i'm in the middle of making handbags decs, (now have i got the wording right) !!

Thanks both! Think I might go for chocolate cake with fondant icing as then I can do nice decorations and it won't look too similar to choc ganache pie. Do you think that'll be ok? I've looked at threads on here for recipes for chocolate cakes, now to think of decorations.
nanny you might just get away with that sentence ;)

nannycook Tue 09-Apr-13 22:28:11

In the, i made a fab choc cake the other day, i melted some cocoa powder in hot water, then i melted dark choc added it to the cooled mixture and folded it in, and it was fab, well that what she said anyway. What were you thing of for decs then, no vintage please!!

Well nanny I bought all lovely. Things for it and then (am slightly ashamed of myself here) because of her insistence have made her a penis shaped. Cake! I did chocolate fudge cake and ganache over the top. Did a tray bake and then. Cut it and layered it to shape! Good job I am going on my "vintage" course next weekend to make myself feel more refined!

nannycook Sat 13-Apr-13 15:08:17

Ha ha ha, funniest thing i've heard all day! but whose did you copy of i'd like to know??? two of my favourite things, choccy cake and ganache. Got any pics to show me then? or are you keeping it all to yourself? tut tut, shame on you.

Dh says there wouldn't be enough cake mix to make his! (He wishes) I'll put a photo on tomorrow for you!

Ha! I accidently volunteered to make a Twilight themed cake for my friends 30th... Not excited.

Penis cake sounds a lot simpler and more fun!

I'm quite impressed with it! There was one funny moment when I shouted through to dh "my testicles falling apart!" (God knows hat neighbours thought) I ummed and Ahmed about detail but thought hairs and veins would be a bit off putting so I've gone for more of an "outline" !

I did a chocolate 30th cake with chocolate fingers round the edge and raspberries, strawberries and redcurrants piled on top.

30yos are allegedly adults. They tend to like tasty, attractively presented cake, rather than something architectural.

Note to self: read thread.

I have previously made a penis cake with a swiss roll and two doughnuts though grin

nannycook Sat 13-Apr-13 17:46:52

Inthe you continue to amuse me today, what next i ask myself? with a life like penis complete with hair and b...s your capable of anything!!! makes my handbag cake i made last night look so boring.

I think you'd be able to sell to a wider audience though nanny photo is now uploaded!
horry that sounds lovely , and before the whole thing got smutty, it would have been perfect!

piprabbit Sat 13-Apr-13 18:48:51

Nothing says "Happy Birthday" like a giant chocolate penis!

It looks very...umm...rich. Yep, I'm going with rich.

I hope the birthday girls enjoys it grin.

piprabbit Sat 13-Apr-13 18:49:09

girl - just the one blush.

nannycook Sat 13-Apr-13 20:42:38

Inthe that looks brill, knobbly bits and all,.really good. Uploaded mine too, no way as interesting as yours though.

It's not my finest hour "pip" ! smile
nana your cake as always is brill. Do you think I could hire myself out? Weddings funeralsv and bar mitzvahs???????

nannycook Sun 14-Apr-13 08:20:24

Oh i think so, you'd go down a storm!!Dont suppose you got to taste it too?

How about this? simplepimple.com/2013/02/pigs-chocolate-cake-recipe/ Looks really cool but easy to make iyswim?

Love that cake pumpkin ! So simple but looks fab!
I did nanny ( there are lots of stylish photos of this too smile ) gorgeous cake- good old Mary berry worked again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now