Has anyone made vintage style cupcakes before?

(35 Posts)
nannycook Tue 02-Apr-13 22:04:19

Just wondered if anyone had some good tips they're like to share.

SunnyRandall Wed 03-Apr-13 13:47:55

What is the difference to any other cup cake?

NightmareSpoon Wed 03-Apr-13 13:55:08

They didn't have cupcakes in the olden days, at least not in the Uk. They were called buns or fairy cakes and they were usually basic sponge cake with some sort of icing on. And maybe a glacier cherry or some 100s and 1000s if you were lucky.

PeachActiviaMinge Wed 03-Apr-13 13:57:23

Oh yes made them with my Nan all the time. Always make sure the cake is cold before you lop the top of it off to make your butterfly wings and use real butter for the body and not stork grin

Sorry OP being a tad pedantic today.

4-4-4-2 and some icing then?

cate16 Wed 03-Apr-13 14:20:20

Weight of eggs, same weight of flour, fat and sugar?

SunnyRandall Wed 03-Apr-13 14:21:23

Lol at these "vintage" suggestions.

What on earth is a vintage cupcake?

Oh, I know. Its one in a plain paper case made with proper ingredients like eggs, butter etc. With a filling made of proper buttercream (the clue is in the word butter there) or proper double cream whipped till it stands, not coloured/flavoured aerosol crap. Without all those awful 'edible things' that modern cupcake makers will insist on using.

In fact I just need to say:

vintage cupcakes, pmsl.

Bunbaker Wed 03-Apr-13 14:45:20

By "vintage cup cake" do you mean fairy cake? Or butterfly cakes?

Oh yes and you must cook them in an unreliable gas oven that keeps going out.

That seemed to be my mums tried and tested recipe in the 60's....

Go on, please do say what you mean by 'vintage cup cakes' as people like me who learned to bake fairy cakes for a brownie badge circa 1969 are keen to know what the modern view of our creations is today.

midori1999 Wed 03-Apr-13 19:08:54

They're just cupcakes decorated in a 'vintage' style, with pearls, flowers, lace, cameos etc.

What do you want to know Nannycook?

nannycook Wed 03-Apr-13 19:45:51

midori thank god your around and by no means do i mean any affence to anyone but i rely on midori for lots of things to do with cake decs. By vintage i mean the actual decorations, i have made loads of things as he wants 30 cupcakes in vintage style as his shop is called Vintage hairdressers, he having some kind of event on sat, i've made cameos, buttons, even made some handmade brooches, flowers, bows and butterflies, midori just wanted to know if thats the type of thing vintage comes under? Thanks for everyones input though.

nannycook Wed 03-Apr-13 19:50:14

Flibberty, ha ha i too was around in the sixties as i'm no spring chicken, i do like to keep up with anything modern, not that i would call vintage modern but in cake decs terms i guess it is.

nannycook Wed 03-Apr-13 20:01:46

midori, your cakes are very good you know. if my cakes are any good i'll put them on my profile pics for you to see.

VikingVagine Sat 06-Apr-13 09:07:28

What a bunch of harpies you lot are! Good luck Nanycook!

nannycook Sat 06-Apr-13 18:45:00

Hiya Viking, how you doing? cakes turned out fab really pleased with them and so were they, i'll try and get a pic put on for you to see.

VikingVagine Sat 06-Apr-13 19:35:27

I'd love to see a pic! I'm fine thanks, not been doing much baking recently because we're redoing the kitchen (yay!), although I have mastered scones!

nannycook Sun 07-Apr-13 08:28:39

mmm, scones is one thing i've never made, and obiviously i need too. Good on you Viking.

Greythorne Sun 07-Apr-13 08:31:28

Your error was ' vintage style.'

If you had put 'cup cakes with vintage-looking decorations' you wouldn't have got the sarky comments.

MikeLitoris Sun 07-Apr-13 08:32:21

Have you seen carinas cupcakes nan?

I think she describes hers as vintage.

is her shop bu if you look her up on face book you can see better pictures.

MikeLitoris Sun 07-Apr-13 08:50:45

And that link doesnt work. Just look her up on fb will be easier.

Shes got a tutorial for a technique like sugar veil but less complicated. Gives a lovely lace effect.

nannycook Sun 07-Apr-13 09:25:43

Yes grey i was alittle suprised by the sarky comments, i thought most peeps went on her for help from talented people not just to vent their anger, not to worry tho i was very happy with the outcome, and next time i'll make sure i get my wording right.lol.

mamababa Sun 07-Apr-13 09:30:10

I have - I went on a vintage cupcake course smile. You need nice pale/pastel coloured sugarpaste and things like quilting/lace print and pearls are nice. What do you nee to know? You can buy various moulds etc but they are quite pricey. Quilting can be done fairly simply with a knife and then you can get nice lustre dust for not much money

nannycook Sun 07-Apr-13 09:33:16

Hi Mike, wished i looked there first however so happy with what i did, think i understand true meaning of "vintage style" now ha ha. Sugar veil, mmm i've seen demos and they make it look easy but i'm sure it isnt, the lace effect sounds good though, will look into that.Thanks Mike.

I'm going on a vintage cupcake decorating course in a couple of weeks time. Very excited. Can you put photos up of yours nanny?
Ps- I knew what you meant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now