Fan assisted oven for baking?

(6 Posts)
VikingVagine Sat 06-Apr-13 09:18:18

This is the recipe I use, I use a food processor to mix up all the dry ingredients, then add the liquid and blast for a couple of seconds until it just holds together.

VikingVagine Sat 06-Apr-13 09:15:37

Scones can be tricky to get right first time. You have to be really careful to not over handle the dough (just bring the ingredients together and pat out; the less you mess with it, the better). Make the scones quite thick (about 2cm), and when you cut it out, go straight down (don't twist the cutter). If using and egg wash, be careful to put it on the top and not let it dribble down the sides.

Once you've got the hang of it you'll be whipping up a fresh batch of scones whenever you have friends round for tea!

reallydeepthoughts Tue 02-Apr-13 18:52:30

Thanks for your repliessmile

My oven is newish so it should be working fine, I think I am just blaming it for my lack of baking prowess!

The baking powder is really old and I cut them quite thinly. Also the dough was room temperature when it went in the oven. Google has just told me it should be cold?

Nolda Tue 02-Apr-13 14:33:16

Make sure the baking powder is newish, it doesn't store well. Handle the dough as little as possible. Don't roll out too thin. My mum says scones like to be close together on the tray to rise (--but she is a crazy Swedish lady--).

My scons never seemed to rise very well so I just put in a little extra baking powder.

Your fan oven shouldn't really be a problem unless it's simply not heating up enough. How is it for other cooking? Might the thermostat be a bit iffy?

I tend to find the main problem with our fan-assisted oven is just that it has hot and cool patches that make buns bake at different rates.

reallydeepthoughts Tue 02-Apr-13 11:01:12

I am trying to learn to bake but nothing ever seems to rise very well. I made scones today and followed the recipe exactly bu they aren't much taller than when I put them in the oven confused

Is it the oven? Or am I blaming my tools? It was a Mary berry recipe if that is of any relevance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now