Hot cross buns

(14 Posts)
Dollybakes Thu 28-Mar-13 20:32:02

Hmmm... The ones I made were quite sweet and cakey because of the spice. If you're struggling why not ask Twitter? Someone always comes up trumps x

VikingVagine Wed 27-Mar-13 21:42:39

I just made some of the Paul Hollywood ones. They're nice enough, but too bready, I want to find a more briochey recipe, any ideas?

Dollybakes Wed 27-Mar-13 20:44:59

I bet the egg is only there to enrich the dough.

Paul Hollywood made it look so easy! My kitchen was a sticky bomb site when I made mine. I never know when I've kneaded enough!

Katisha Wed 27-Mar-13 08:04:07

Thanks breadandwine. Interesting point about eggs being gratuitously added to recipes. Especially bread type ones. DSs are allergic to eggs and it's hard to find baking recipes sometimes. I am not keen on egg replacer powder or recipes which start wanting apple sauce etc.

The problem I find is that searching for egg free recipes mean finding stuff that assumes you want to be dairy free as well, which I don't.

nannycook Wed 27-Mar-13 07:51:39

Paul Hollywood made nice ones last night on Easter Bake off, mmm he can make my buns any day!!!

Angielka Wed 27-Mar-13 03:27:29

Thanks for the links breadandwine. I've tried a few vegan pancake and cake recipes so will be interested to try yours. The pancake one looks too simple to be true!!

BTW I made the hot cross buns yesterday and DH and DD1 loved them. Only 5 left so will probably be making a few more batches grin

Breadandwine Wed 27-Mar-13 00:21:05

Thanks, Wannabe!

I was just looking for an egg free recipe so thanks. Out of interest what does adding egg to the dough do? Is it just a richer taste or does the dough behave differently?

Katisha I think you'd have to a side by side comparison to see if there was any difference. I suspect there wouldn't be any, TBH, the flavour from spices and fruit would overwhelm any taste coming through from the egg.

And Angielka. I also make pancakes

nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/pancakes-using-just-flour-and-water.html

and cakes

nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/52-diet-simple-chocolate-cake-vegan.html

that don't have any egg in them. I have a suspicion that we've been, not exactly conned into using eggs in these products, but certainly it's a received wisdom that they are an essential ingredient.

Dollybakes Tue 26-Mar-13 22:19:15

I love reading all the different recipes!

Dollybakes Tue 26-Mar-13 22:18:28

I made them for the first time last Easter. They were sooo much better than shop bought! Try these bad boys...

www.dollybakes.co.uk/2012/04/hot-cross-buns.html?m=1

Katisha Tue 26-Mar-13 21:42:18

I was just looking for an egg free recipe so thanks. Out of interest what does adding egg to the dough do? Is it just a richer taste or does the dough behave differently?

Angielka Tue 26-Mar-13 06:52:04

And it's vegan so my dairy/egg allergic DD can try them grin thanks for the link!

wannabeEostregoddess Tue 26-Mar-13 06:51:54

This recipe looks great, the most straightforward I have seen. Cant wait to try it.

TheNurseryCryme Tue 26-Mar-13 06:06:56

Thanks

Breadandwine Tue 26-Mar-13 04:29:32

It's that time of the year, folks! smile

This recipe will make a dozen buns, costing about 5p each:

nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/hot-cross-buns-spicy-fruit-buns.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now