How early can I make the cupcakes?

(8 Posts)
midori1999 Wed 27-Mar-13 21:55:54

Yes, you can decorate while still frozen and then leave to defrost. smile

Dollybakes Wed 27-Mar-13 20:54:14

I've done cupcakes a couple of days in advance and not needed to freeze them. I just keep them airtight x

jetstar Tue 26-Mar-13 22:04:06

Thanks everyone. Will have to have a think about what will work best.
midori do you mean decorate the frozen cakes and then leave to defrost with the icing on them?

midori1999 Tue 26-Mar-13 00:27:37

You could make them in advance if you froze them, then decorate and let defrost. However, if they are not going to be frozen, they need to be made the same day IMO, or at the very earliest late the night before. Larger cakes last longer.

nannycook Sun 24-Mar-13 13:37:13

jetstar, i made some red velvet cupcakes for comic relief, made them early in the week as i wasnt sure what they'd turn out like, i froze them, again not sure if i could, didnt decorate them though, defrosted them night before and they were fab.

jetstar Sun 24-Mar-13 08:24:57

Good idea, thanks! I have time to do a test freeze before the event. Although 40 would take up a lot of freezer space!

bakingaddict Sun 24-Mar-13 08:19:28

I have baked and then frozen big 8'' and 10'' birthday cakes to be decorated when needed. You dont lose too much flavour and consistency. I haven't done it for cupcakes though

jetstar Sun 24-Mar-13 08:14:50

I am making 40 cupcakes for an event on a Sunday. We are having visitors the day before. So will the it be ok to bake the cakes on Thursday and ice with buttercream on Friday? Or should I really bake them Friday and ice Saturday? Not sure how long they will take to ice and decorate.
TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now