Alternatives to buttercream icing

(24 Posts)
Moomoomie Tue 19-Mar-13 17:42:01

Notapizzaeater..... I tried that once and it split and looked curdled, what is your recipe please?
TIA

TeaOneSugar Mon 18-Mar-13 21:42:41

French buttercream is a rich, smooth buttercream, not as sweet buttercream made with icing sugar and pipes beautifully.

especially yummy with the added chocolate

wildfig Wed 13-Mar-13 09:04:23

I really like old-fashioned cooked buttercream, which you make with - shock horror - flour. From the list of ingredients, it looks like it can't possibly work but you end up with a very light, not-too-sweet, not-too-claggy icing that's closer to whipped cream.

After several attempts to learn to love Swiss Meringue Buttercream - it's just too much like whipped butter for me, and I LOVE butter - this is the one I end up making most often now.

That or normal butter/icing sugar with half a tin of Carnation Caramel whisked in with a pinch of sea salt. [drools]

GirlOutNumbered Sun 10-Mar-13 18:07:58

1/4 cup unrefined (virgin) coconut oil
16 oz icing sugar
4-6 tablespoons coconut or soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

nannycook Sun 10-Mar-13 18:07:39

i made some choccy cakes today, abit of an over load of choc but it is mothers day, i also added big chunks of white choc to cake mix, then i topped them with ganache and the really naughty i know but i crushed up maltesers and sprinkled them over the top, tut tut, diabetes here i come!

chocoluvva Sun 10-Mar-13 18:01:33

Ganache......mmm....drools!

Helpful huh!

nannycook Sun 10-Mar-13 18:00:20

i find if you add cream cheese to whisked double cream and it light and fluffy, you can add as much or as little icing sugar as you want.

nannycook Sun 10-Mar-13 17:58:17

You can also use ganache to pipe swirls too.

RollerCola Sun 10-Mar-13 17:54:51

Is it sweet? And as sickly?

spudmasher Sun 10-Mar-13 17:54:03

A slight sharp edge and sticks to the roof of the mouth longer. A thicker texture, denser, less open.

RollerCola Sun 10-Mar-13 17:49:48

Can anyone tell me what cream cheese icing tastes like compared to buttercream? I must have tasted it before I'm sure but can't quite 'taste' it in my mind!

nannycook Sun 10-Mar-13 17:40:42

oh and i always use the same butter, willow, tried others and this seems to work for me, making red nose cupcakes this week, lots of them,arrrrgh.

nannycook Sun 10-Mar-13 17:39:01

Notapizzer, i agree with you, i do exactly the same as you and beat it for about 10mins in my mixer and as you say it doubles in size and resembles double cream, and no one has ever says its sickly, quite the opposite, i'm always asked how do i make it so light and fluffy.

CMOTDibbler Sun 10-Mar-13 17:17:28

Swiss meringue pipes beautifully, and is not sickly - dh hates buttercream, but asks me to do swiss meringue buttercream

Praline
Smooth peanut butter
Ginger icing
Salted caramel

WifeofPie Sun 10-Mar-13 17:11:41
notapizzaeater Sun 10-Mar-13 17:10:37

I make buttercream but I whisk it for at least 10 mins in a mixer and it double/triples in quantity and is no where near as sickly

bakingaddict Sun 10-Mar-13 17:09:14

You can do a meringue frosting or an American marshmallow one

Haven't got recipes off the top of my head but i'm sure there is loads on the net

Imflabulous Sun 10-Mar-13 17:08:21

Fresh whipped cream?

DolomitesDonkey Sun 10-Mar-13 17:07:26

Mascarpone?

Carrot cake icing- 50/50 icing sugar and cream cheese
Lemon curd
Lemon drizzle
Cocoa powder and icing sugar mix buttercream (less sickly)

Timeforabiscuit Sun 10-Mar-13 17:05:59

The closest I've found is the American frosting stuff you can get from catering shops, but its still too sweet for me.

I've tried a cream cheese topping but it's not thick enough to pipe confused i'm in need of ideas too!!

spudmasher Sun 10-Mar-13 17:04:17

Watching with interest- DD2 hates butter but loves baking.

RollerCola Sun 10-Mar-13 17:00:53

I find buttercream a bit too sickly - is there an alternative that pipes a swirl top nicely onto cupcakes? I like sweetness, just not so sickly sweet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now