Cake tin.

(7 Posts)
nannycook Thu 07-Mar-13 21:42:58

As i'm making my friend and colleagues wedding cake in June, her mum has kindly bought me the cake tin so i can make the cakes, nowt wrong in that i hear you ask, but its one of those multisize cake tins, 12inch then you can downsize also, its made by Silverwood,has anyone had any eperience with this type of tin?how good are they?

PandaG Thu 07-Mar-13 21:46:41

really brilliant ime. I usually wrap the tin in brown paper to prevent the cake burning, as my fruit cake recipe suggests, and I always line the tin. Cake bakes well, the mix doesn't escape, and the tin is so flexible. I've lent mine out a number of times, and a couple of friends have been so impressed they have bought their own

nannycook Thu 07-Mar-13 21:58:11

PandaG, they are quite expensive tbh and it was her suggestion not mine, i was very grateful though. That was my next question, did the mix leak out? as the ingredients are so expensive wouldnt want to ruin it, it does come with its own recipe but cooks for 6hrs, and uses 17 flipping eggs, i've struggled to find a good wedding cake recipe and the one i like is Mich Turners, but do you have a tried and testted one you wouldnt mibd sharing? enough for a 12 inch?

nannycook Thu 07-Mar-13 22:40:00

PandaG, going nuts here, i've put the tin together and put the two other deviders in also to make a 10inch for my next tier only to find the one goes one way and the other seems the wrong way up, am i being thick here, i.e the slots are downwards which to me will let the mix seep out.arrrrrgh!

nannycook Thu 07-Mar-13 22:46:54

duh think i just clicked, you have to line the tin to stop it from seeping out, is that right?

PandaG Thu 07-Mar-13 22:58:05

yep, line it and it will all be fine! I just use my fav fruit cake recipe and multiply it up, and it is a large amount of mix! It does need to cook for a long time on a low temp, to be cooked through. I can find my recipe if you want, but I'd use your favourite and just multiply it.

re expensive ingredients - Aldi sell 15 free range eggs for <£2, their sugar and flour is fine and reasonably priced

PandaG Thu 07-Mar-13 22:59:45

oh, if you want any more advice, if you start another thread with Silverwood or multi size cake tin in the title you may attract the poster I have seen who works for Silverwood and is really helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now