Converting cooking times for a whole cake to individual cakes

(9 Posts)
BIWI Sat 02-Mar-13 21:35:22

DS2 is 18 on Tuesday. Because he doesn't want a big do, I'm considering making individual cakes rather than a whole birthday cake.

The recipe I was planning on using is a Nigella one, from How to Eat, which makes a chocolate cake that you cook in a 20cm tin for 35-45 minutes.

If I was to use the mixture and cook in muffin tins, how long should I cook them for? I was thinking about 20 minutes, but this is purely guessing!

I would say 20 minutes about right.

I would check them at 15 minutes just to be sure.

BIWI Sat 02-Mar-13 21:49:44

Thanks - should I bake them at the same temperature, or something slightly cooler?

I think I would drop the temp by 10-20C.

I cooked muffins today (large silicone tray so quite large size) at 180 fan for 25 minutes.

What temp is given for the cake?

redwellybluewelly Sat 02-Mar-13 21:59:19

I've just done the same with a nigella pear cake recipe, didnt have a big enough tine for the cake so used a third of the tin to make pear muffins. Regularly make a four egg sponge and take a quarter off for cupcakes.

I usually keep the same oven temperature but cook for 20min and be aware they might need an extra 5min.

redwellybluewelly Sat 02-Mar-13 22:00:13

I should add I use 180 for kost of my cakes unless they specifically require a different temperature.

BIWI Sat 02-Mar-13 22:02:35

GM4/180 degrees

I would keep it at that temp, as red welly says!

Some cakes/buns/scones need a high temp to get the rise. But as that mix is ok at 180 in cake form it should be the same individually.

BIWI Mon 04-Mar-13 22:37:21

Well they came out perfectly, so thank you all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now