Burned yet another cake. Fucking fucking gas oven.

(7 Posts)
TessTing123 Wed 27-Feb-13 11:36:52

Will I get used to this or am I going to be a shit baker forever now?

I havepromised scones and gingerbread for the school fair. God knows what lumps of charcoal I'll produce for that.

Woe is me.

BanjoPlayingTiger Wed 27-Feb-13 11:40:32

Try putting it on a lower gas mark, or lower down in the oven. Different areas of the oven will be different temperatures. You'll get to know your oven if you bake enough and will work out where is best for things to go in there, and if you need to adjust temperatures etc.

I'm currently struggling with an electric fan oven having only ever had gas though. I hate that there is no variation in temperature. It's really doing my head in!

TessTing123 Wed 27-Feb-13 11:48:55

Ha! I miss my electric fan oven. Swapsies??!

nannycook Wed 27-Feb-13 22:22:52

me too always had a fan assisted electric oven, now have a gas, boy is it different? had some disasters but i think i'm ok now but saying that i'm abit worried as got a wedding cake to make in june and i haven't done such a big cake in it before.

twattock Fri 01-Mar-13 20:37:14

oven thermometer?

Bunbaker Fri 01-Mar-13 20:57:12

I loathe fan ovens and have always had a gas oven in every house I have lived in except the last one. Gas ovens are brilliant for baking as they don't dry everything out.
Like Banjo I hate the fact that there aren't different temperature zones in fan ovens.

If you are following the recipes exactly and your end results are burnt it sounds like you need an oven thermometer to check the temperature settings. Also you should always place your baking on the centre shelf unless the recipe specifies otherwise.

For what it's worth I cook scones at gas mark 7 (on the centre shelf) for about 12 minutes and they never burn.

BanjoPlayingTiger Sat 02-Mar-13 16:29:10

nods at bunbaker

I used to do scones at the same temperature and place too.
I have made scones in my new oven, but they were drier - I'm trying to work out how to make them like I did before now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now