Magimix cake disaster! What did i do wrong?

(19 Posts)
Blondenurse Tue 19-Feb-13 20:25:20

After months of reading reviews and finally taking the (expensive) plunge, I recently bought a Magimix 4200 XL. I thought it was going to be the answer to my kitchen prayers. Followed the recipe for Victoria Sponge in the instruction manual and it was terrible! I usually make lovely cakes, but this was all weird inside. It was compared to everything from a doughnut to a thick pancake! What did I do wrong? Or are they just rubbish at making cakes? Help!

janpa Tue 19-Feb-13 21:00:18

I have a Kenwood, which I love for everything except whipping cream and making cakes, because it doesn't get to the bottom of the bowl, so some is brilliantly mixed and some is missed. I wonder if it could be the same problem?

squidgeberry Tue 19-Feb-13 21:06:52

Magimix is pretty rubbish at cakes as it won't get enough air in the mixture.. Kenwood or electric whisk would be better.

misscph1973 Tue 19-Feb-13 21:14:10

It's hard to say from so little description of the recipe and method.

Depending on what you are used to, Victoria sponges can be a bit difficult because the expectations are high for this apparently easy cake. When my DH made his first a few years ago, he went through 4 batches before he was happy and we were allowed to taste. In the end he found that the recipes with more eggs in worked better as the cakes were lighter and flufffier.

I have a Magimix 3200 and I rarely use it for cake making. I prefer using an electric whisk. I mainly use the Magimix for hummous, mayonnaise and grating large batches of carrots. I lost the recipe book and I don't think I ever used it.

I can however recommend Nigella Lawsons old fashioned chocolate cake, if you want a recipe for a cake made in a food processor, google it. The recipe is easy to follow and the cake is amazing.

nettie Tue 19-Feb-13 21:53:14

Janpa, my Ken used to do that, but you can adjust the attachments so they reach the bottom. Tells you how to do it on this page think it's a question near the end.

www.kenwoodworld.com/uk/Customer-Services-Support/FAQs/Kenwood-Kitchen-Machines/

janpa Tue 19-Feb-13 21:57:50

Thank you Nettie, that's really kind of you.

Blondenurse Wed 20-Feb-13 20:41:33

Thanks squidgeberry and janpa. I reverted to my handheld Kenwood for childrens fairy cakes yesterday . Am guessing the magimix is not cut out for cakes...

Misscph1973 the recipe was 225g butter, 4eggs, 225g sugar, 225g s/r flour. I think the butter wasn't warm enough as there were still a few lumps in the mix at the end. I've looked up the nigella recipe though - thanks! Looks gorgeous! Did it really work? Looks too easy! If you have time to share a good houmous recipe, that would be great - yet to find one I really like!

piprabbit Wed 20-Feb-13 20:51:26

The recipe sounds a bit eggy to me. Most eggs are 60-65 grammes each, so 240-260 grammes in total for a 4 egg cake. I'd be using the same weight of butter/sugar/SR flour as the weight of the whole eggs. I also add a small tsp of baking powder for extra oomph.

nannycook Wed 20-Feb-13 21:44:43

blondenurse, i use exactly the recipe for my victoria sponge using my ready steady cook stand mixer and mine is as light and fluffy as ever in fact i made one Mon as a friend came over put double cream and jam, she was blown over how deep it was, i use the same method and actually use the same flora buttery spread as it mixes perfect, i do beat the hell out off the butter and sugar for at least 5mins untill nearly white, mine doesnt get to the bottom either but i always use a spatular to scrape down with, then always add the egg with a spoon of flour and again beat well, then sift flour and fold in gently, oh and i use the exacts same measruements as you, always have, always will, with me its a case of ,if it aint broke dont fix it. hope thats some help.

nannycook Wed 20-Feb-13 21:47:50

blondenurse, i use exactly the recipe for my victoria sponge using my ready steady cook stand mixer and mine is as light and fluffy as ever in fact i made one Mon as a friend came over put double cream and jam, she was blown over how deep it was, i use the same method and actually use the same flora buttery spread as it mixes perfect, i do beat the hell out off the butter and sugar for at least 5mins untill nearly white, mine doesnt get to the bottom either but i always use a spatular to scrape down with, then always add the egg with a spoon of flour and again beat well, then sift flour and fold in gently, oh and i use the exacts same measruements as you, always have, always will, with me its a case of ,if it aint broke dont fix it. hope thats some help.

bacon Thu 21-Feb-13 18:54:57

Agree as much as I love my Magimix and use it regularly its no good for cakes. Its the wrong type of mixer.

Its not eggy 4 eggs for 250g mix is perfect. 25g less of flour isnt going to make much difference I never weigh eggs and still have excellent cakes.

nannycook Thu 21-Feb-13 20:16:32

aw bacon i'm far to old, prefer ounces,is that an 8oz mixture?

BoringSchoolChoiceNickname Thu 21-Feb-13 20:21:44

I wouldn't use a Magimix for Victoria sponge. I make a great yoghurt and vegetable oil based cake in mine though.

Blondenurse Thu 21-Feb-13 20:59:37

Thanks nannycook - you say you use a stand mixer - do you mean a proper bowl and beater thingy? I was torn between one of those and a processor. Opted for the latter as I need all the other functions - was hoping it might be ok for baking, but maybe not, as bacon says...

Piprabbit - I never thought about the weight of eggs - mine come from a local farm, so vary a bit. I must admit to being a bit rubbish and just throw in whatever the recipe says!

BoringSchoolChoice, any chance you could share your yoghurt and vegetable oil recipe?

Am trying nigellas choc food processor cake tomorrow, as recommended by misscph - will post results here! Thanks everyone!

nannycook Thu 21-Feb-13 22:07:17

yep blondenurse, one with a k beater i wouldnt be without it now and as i have s cakes coming up including a wedding cake its a godsend.

Blondenurse Fri 22-Feb-13 17:11:54

What a shame I can't post a picture. I've just made Nigella's old fashioned chocolate cake, as recommended by misscph. It was amazing! A tremendous success! Thank you all so much - expect to find me on the dieting forum in a few months time though!

nonsense0name Tue 26-Feb-13 15:32:55

Hi

I've had some sucess with normal sponge in my Magimix 4200. I use the bung everything in together method grin rather than creaming butter and sugar first as then the cake was too heavy.

Put all dry ingredients in first, with soft butter and eggs in last on separate sides of the bowl. Then use the standard blade and whizz up for a good while (never timed, sorry). I use 6oz butter 6oz sugar 8oz flour 2 large eggs and 1 or 2 tbsp warm milk.

Good luck smile

Blondenurse Tue 26-Feb-13 16:14:22

Thanks nononsense. Will try it out. Although after nigellas chocolate cake, I should avoid any further sweet treats for a while...

Vetti05 Fri 11-Jul-14 10:39:32

I make cakes in my Magimix all the time and I LOVE it. One thing you do need to remember though is to leave out the pusher so the mixture can aerate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now