New york cheesecake

(8 Posts)
hugoagogo Mon 18-Feb-13 15:22:45

Great thank you; now which one to try?

700g full fat soft cheese (Philadelphia)
4 large eggs
200g caster sugar
4x5oz cartons sour cream or 2 large cartons (about 600ml)
10 digestive biscuits
vanilla essence (about a teaspoon)

Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 (180 or fan 160)
Grease the bottom and sides of a loose-bottom cake tin (8 1/2 inches).
Crush the biscuits and coat the base of the tin with them.
Mix the cheese, eggs, 150g of sugar, vanilla and one 5oz carton of sour cream until thick and smooth, do not overmix as it can become runny.
Carefully pour the mixture over the biscuits, being careful not to disturb the biscuits (spooning it over can be easier).
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 min. Don’t worry if it is a little wobbly in the middle as it will continue to cook later. It is important not to overcook.
Remove the cake and let it cool a bit.
Mix the remaining sour cream and sugar and pour over the top of the cake.
Bake for a further 7 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool overnight in the fridge.
It can be a challenge to get it off the base of the tin without cracking the top. Try a pallet knife.

Yes - t's are teaspoons.

hugoagogo Sun 17-Feb-13 20:50:44

Thank you blueberry Can I just check are your 't' s teaspoons or tablespoons?

I like the idea of using custard powder, to stabilise it a bit and for flavour too.

This is the most amazing recipe (even if I say so myself) well worth the time it takes to set and cool.

You can make a biscuit crumb or pastry base for this. Personally, I prefer pastry. Sure you won't need a recipe for that!
Filling :
500g good cream cheese
300ml fresh cream
125g sugar
3 eggs
pinch salt
1t custard powder
1t vanilla essence
Beat eggs and cream until smooth. Add salt, sugar, eggs, custard powder and vanilla. Mix well. Fill shell with mixture bake @ 160 C for about 20 mins. Then I switch the oven off and leave it in for as long as I can. Overnight is good.
Just one tip. If you are going to use a pastry base. Do not roll it out. Press it in to the tin rather. I usually use a springform tin. Line
the base of the tin with the dough, prick with a fork and bake it blind for a few minutes. THEN press the sides of pastry in before adding filling.

hugoagogo Sun 17-Feb-13 20:31:24

That sounds lovely, sometimes I make a non-baked cheesecake with condensed milk, lemon juice and cream cheese, it's lovely, but I particularly fancied a dense thick vanilla cheesecake.

nannycook Sun 17-Feb-13 19:49:27

Hugo, thats a baked cheesecake i guess? i did make a fab one yesterday for guests last night, it wasnt baked but very nice, i added half a pot if whipped double cream (with dash of baileys cream in) to two pits of mascapone cheese, then drizzled some homemade caramel sauce over the top and marbled it in, huge amount of cals in every slice.

hugoagogo Sun 17-Feb-13 18:35:14

I made nigella's newyork cheesecake today.

So disappointing, like quiche without the bacon, I should have known better really her recipes always seem 'egg heavy'.

Please recommend some better recipes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now