Want to make bread by machine, need some tips

(18 Posts)
jennimoo Sat 16-Feb-13 05:52:55

I'd really like to start making more bread, and currently do pizza base dough. I make it in the magimix but have found this sometimes makes the dough very hot and obviously it doesn't rise well then.

I know I want to knead by machine as I hate having doughy hands and so just won't do it! Do I persevere with the magimix for try something else?

I'm tempted by a bread maker but space is limited, and when I tried one before DH used to complain about the hole the paddle made, which was pretty inconvienient for sandwiches!

Any thoughts / recommendations?

You could try buying food grade plastic gloves if they were less offensive to you than doughy hands?

I dont have a bread maker or a mixer. But everyone recommends Panasonic breadmakers. Whats your budget roughly?

mathanxiety Sat 16-Feb-13 06:35:05

I have a bread machine with a timer I can set so the machine springs into action in the wee small hours and a freshly baked loaf greets us first thing in the morning. I put in the ingredients according to directions before I head off to bed.

The lovely fresh bread (and better still the smell of freshly baked bread) is worth the very minor inconvenience of a paddle hole.

phantomhairpuller Sat 16-Feb-13 06:43:23

We have a Panasonic breadmaker, pinched it from MIL just after Christmas. It's excellent! We make bread every other day an have made pizza and pasta dough. All very successful.
I agree with you DH that the hole from the paddle isn't ideal but its not that bad! Maybe a couple of slices are affected but that's it.
From what I've read, the more you spend on a bread maker, the better it will perform hence why we pinched MILs!

phantomhairpuller Sat 16-Feb-13 06:43:26

We have a Panasonic breadmaker, pinched it from MIL just after Christmas. It's excellent! We make bread every other day an have made pizza and pasta dough. All very successful.
I agree with you DH that the hole from the paddle isn't ideal but its not that bad! Maybe a couple of slices are affected but that's it.
From what I've read, the more you spend on a bread maker, the better it will perform hence why we pinched MILs!

phantomhairpuller Sat 16-Feb-13 06:44:43

Oops, double posted! Sorry wink

Liskey Sat 16-Feb-13 06:57:48

We've got the Panasonic bread maker and make dough with it to make rolls (which avoids the hole and means it's easier to freeze and tastes fresher then). Also makes pizza dough in 45 minutes which is lovely!

AYetiAteMe Sat 16-Feb-13 07:29:46

Yy we have a panasonic too. I had a morphy Richards (I think) one before which I thought was ok until I got the panasonic one and realised my bread was SOOOOOOOooo much better in it. Also, as another poster says, pizza dough in 45 mins, there's nothing to lose!

We use ours at least once a week.

Note to all bread making folk. Yeast does not last forever, if you notice loaves starting to be a bit flat when they didn't used to be, chuck your yeast and buy a fresh pack. I keep mine in a small, sealed jar which helps it stay fresh for a decent amount of time.

jennimoo Sat 16-Feb-13 08:37:25

Thanks for the replies. The bread from old bread maker didn't taste that great either, but was a brand less one from freecycle!

Doesn't look like anyone uses a magimix then?

jennimoo Sat 16-Feb-13 09:48:22

Just bought a Panasonic bread maker, oops! ;)

mathanxiety Sat 16-Feb-13 18:17:41

I keep my yeast in a jar in the fridge.

math

Where do you get your yeast? And does it need fed?

ommmward Sat 16-Feb-13 18:24:29

Sour dough bread doesn't need kneading. You can pretty much knead it with a spoon. Mind you, it's almost as big a commitment as getting a goldfish, what with feeding it every day and putting it in a clean bowl when it starts looking a bit mucky. About as entertaining as a goldfish, too.

Can u all link to this amazing Panasonic bread maker u have please? Soooo envy

mathanxiety Sat 16-Feb-13 18:48:57

Tesco is usually a good bet. Lakeland sells quick acting yeast online. No feeding needed as it is dry.

I tried sourdough for a while a few years ago but the DCs found the sight of the starter a bit sinister. I really like the crust on sourdough bread and am tempted to give it a go again now that they're older and less worried about monsters.

I use fast action yeast but have never spotted fresh yeast to buy. Must have a look.

jennimoo Sat 16-Feb-13 19:09:12

This is the one I've got
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004RTJWMW/ref=mw_dp_ra3?pi=SY125
However the price has gone up £5 since I ordered this morning!

Thanks jen can't wait to be able to order one I have wanted one for soooo long

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now