come and help me make a wedding cake...

(19 Posts)
MikeLitoris Argentina Tue 05-Feb-13 17:21:04

I have to make a cake for my best friends wedding on 20th feb.

I'm fine with baking and stacking etc but I want to make this one perfect.

first q. should I marzipan under the icing? she want a plain sponge instead of fruit but would a thin marzipan layer make the icing smoother?

the bride wants some sort of draping or ruffles/frills. this isn't something I have loads of experience with. is draping fondant as easy as it looks? the pic she sent for inspiration is www.kimboscakes.co.uk/wedding-cakes/cala-lily-and-drapes-tower-wedding-cake/#more-6983this but simpler.

My thought was maybe do the bottom tier similar to the 3rd tier on that one then a simpler top tier? (2 tier cake)

when she first asked me my idea was a bottom tier with frills like the left hand cake here. Bride has basically told me to do what ever I want shock

Wow, good luck! to get smooth icing on a sponge cake you need to crumbcoat the cake it gives you a lovely smooth finish to get the icing on

for the frills, get some gum tragacanth, and mix 1tsp with 250g of icing. Knead it well and leave for half an hour. Then follow the instructions here its actually easier than it looks

I think the draped frills look better than the ones on the 2nd cake you showed

I would marzipan it or do a double layer of fondant. I always use an underlayer of either when making sponge cakes. It gives a much smoother look to the cake.

If you are doing a frill cake then the frilled tier will only need one layer as the frills (assuming you are doing full height of the tier) will cover the sides and cover any imperfections.

I love this look. if you have a colour to work with

or

this all white but stunning too.

MikeLitoris Argentina Tue 05-Feb-13 17:45:17

I love the first on blueberry. Thats more what I was thinking.

Ive sent her some more pics of what I like and she has just replied 'love them all, please make what ever you want to'

Its like a dream come true grin

this is my current fave but I think I need a teeny bit of practice first.

MikeLitoris Argentina Tue 05-Feb-13 17:46:57

Im also trying to get my hands on a peony cutter too. I love them but have never made one.

The colours are cream and lilac.

I made a peony recently and used this tutorial, bloody brilliant and my finished peony was beautiful if I say so myself. Very time consuming but worth the result.

MikeLitoris Argentina Tue 05-Feb-13 18:19:56

That is my new favourite site! Some great tutorials.

I'm off to get some supplies tomorrow so will try and get some cutters.

I dont have long to practice between doing other cakes and work, kids etc.

I do love CakeJournal with all my heart, she has taught me too many things to mention.

Blueberryboybait's white one in her first post is currently on display in Fortnum and Mason - exactly that cake! It's stunning.

MikeLitoris Argentina Thu 07-Feb-13 21:02:44

ruffles and frills are out!

she has decided on a diamante one like I have put on my profile.

now, how do I avoid the 'diamonds' looking too pushed in iyswim?

MikeLitoris Argentina Fri 08-Feb-13 20:37:20

blueberry are you around?

After a quick google the diamantes look like a nightmare to do. Are you aware of any decent alternatives?

Im begining to regret agreeing to this.

nannycook Fri 08-Feb-13 20:50:34

Mike, you clever girl, nice cakes!

MikeLitoris Argentina Fri 08-Feb-13 20:52:19

The big diamante one isnt mine nanny i wish it was mind.

How is your wedding cake coming along? Any ideas?

nannycook Fri 08-Feb-13 21:00:34

nah not really Mike, however think she may want bottom and middle as fruit and top tier as sponge, but depending on what size she wants the top will be tiny if she wants a 6 inch, like i said not sure yet, she likes plain tho with a touch of tiffany colour in there somewhere and defo wants square, but oddly put on off center if you know what i mean.

MikeLitoris Argentina Fri 08-Feb-13 21:55:33

I have looked at millions of wedding cakes the last few days. I feel like an expert despite never having made one grin

nannycook Fri 08-Feb-13 22:12:12

i went to the NEC last nov to the cake decoration exhibition, there were some amazing ones there, way out of my league tho, theres one in London in April with Paul Hollywood, would love to go.

nannycook Fri 08-Feb-13 22:13:03

i went to the NEC last nov to the cake decoration exhibition, there were some amazing ones there, way out of my league tho, theres one in London in April with Paul Hollywood, would love to go.

MikeLitoris Argentina Sat 09-Feb-13 12:12:06

I would love to go but wiuld need to rob a bank first! Some friends went to the NEC and spent so much money.

Im off to do a bit of cake shopping today.

PaleHousewifeOfCumbriaCounty Sat 09-Feb-13 12:15:28

Fruit is better as bottom tier, it weighs a bloody ton!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now