Can you use a hand mixer for...

(10 Posts)
SparkyUK Sun 27-Jan-13 11:43:49

I'm not a natural baker and so, I have for the last few years gotten by with the cheapest hand mixers possible. However, with children, it looks like it will be a bigger part of my life. The last mixer died as I was finishing off the icing on the birthday cake for the boys shock angry and the year before that, my mixer died on Christmas eve. shock angry shock angry.

I'm ready to spend a bit more, partly as insurance. I am insecure enough about my baking skills without having to worry that the mixer will break 5 minutes in.

I did start to look at getting a stand mixer and would probably go for the Kenwood Chef for £250 via the cooperative with a coupon or a kitchenaid which I can find for £380. But I sort of feel like this is overkill and maybe just some really good hand mixers would do the trick. I think costco have the kmix hand mixer for maybe £40.

Surely that would be enough for cakes, biscuits, banana bread and brownies (what I currently attempt occasionally). But, if I had a stand mixer I would use it for bread too. However, the spec for the kmix and dualit mixers say they can need dough. Is that realistic? Any one else use a hand mixer for kneading? Does your arm fall off at the end?

Obviously the cheaper price tag on hand mixer is appealing, but space is the more limiting factor. The kitchenaid is very pretty though and I could clear away some things on the counter for it if pressed smile

bacon Sun 27-Jan-13 17:11:46

Your right being realistic and for the amount of time you use it then a hand mixer is perfect - I still have a hand mixer and has never failed me.

No hand mixers are not ideal for dough and professionals dont like using kitchen aids for dough because of the texture.

I started with a hand mixer and like many I love the idea of baking all the time but it doesnt happen and mostly only use it once a week. I am going to get a kitchen aid but only because I'm doing a wedding cake.

nannycook Sun 27-Jan-13 18:37:17

have to be honest i always used a habd mixer untill i started to make a fair few cakes of late, i bought myself a Ready Stead Cook standmixer and i love it, obivously i would have loved to have a kitchen aid, but i cant see how this would make my cakes any better that i get. them now

There is a breville mixer which is a hand mixer with a base that turns it to a stand mixer. Its around £50.

Cant say how good it is but I am tempted as I cant afford a stand mixer but really want one.

nannycook Mon 28-Jan-13 12:25:09

mine was only £80 tho.

I used a hand mixer Neil I got my kitchenaid last summer and I found the number of things I made increased dramatically when I got it. It's there on the counter looking at me and its dead easy to chuck a few eggs in the bowl. So depends whether you want to make more cake or not grin

Neil? Till ffs.

Oh nannycook, argos has that down to £50. I bet it will be back up next month when I go to get it though.

HousewifeFromHeaven Mon 28-Jan-13 12:50:51

I make cakes but always by hand - only exercise I get is mixing hard butter grin

diamondee Wed 13-Feb-13 15:43:03

I have the breville hand mixer with the stand base and it's fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now