Defrosting cakes

(5 Posts)
LadyDamerel Fri 25-Jan-13 21:59:20

It doesn't seem to. I did wonder if it would go clammy the first time I did it but it was fine.

Tailtwister Fri 25-Jan-13 20:40:09

Do you find it affects the sugarpaste at all lady? Does the moisture cause issues?

Mmmm half frozen cake. Now there's something I'm going to try! Thanks for the tip amazing.

LadyDamerel Fri 25-Jan-13 20:17:22

I ice frozen cakes, especially when I'm doing carved cakes and it's fine. They defrost pretty quickly at room temperature though, maybe 2 hours for an 8" cake.

amazingmumof6 Fri 25-Jan-13 20:13:12

I presume it's a sponge cake, over night in the fridge is sufficient, or depending on your house /kitchen temperature perhaps 4-8 hours on the kitchen top is enough?

for some reason I think it's the same as sliced bread would be, obviously if you wrap 2 layers separately it might be as quick as a couple of hours.

I have frozen left over cake before, but they don't ever become fully defrosted, I eat them half frozen with a cup of coffee, within 30 mins......yum

Tailtwister Fri 25-Jan-13 19:56:54

I'm thinking of making the cakes for a birthday cake a couple of weeks in advance and was wondering about the defrosting procedure.

How long before decorating should they be defrosted. They will be filled and crumb coated with buttercream and then covered with fondant icing. They will also be stacked (2 layers).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now