Cake Pop help please!

(12 Posts)
MaureenMLove Sun 20-Jan-13 15:14:57

Candy Melts are pretty useless it seems from this thread! I too, struggled with them. I used ordinary chocolate and it's perfect.

SanityClause Sun 20-Jan-13 15:05:14

Don't try to add cake colouring to candy melts, as it makes it thicken up, for some reason.

I always put the cake pops in the freezer to set a bit once they are on the sticks, but before I coat them. This makes the chocolate set quite quickly.

I actually find actual chocolate works the best, although,mobviously, it doesn't come in pretty colours!

jojane Sun 20-Jan-13 15:04:59

Washe not wages

jojane Sun 20-Jan-13 15:04:18

Plus a lot cheaper too - I was wasting bags of melts at £2.99 each when it siezed up but using 30p bars of basics white choc with a tiny bit of colouring £2.30 a pot but probably use about 2ps worth (plus can use colouring for icing etc)
Another money saving tip is buy the plastic pop sticks rather than the papery ones as the plastic ones can be wages and reused (obviously this is just for family use, if making for other people use new sticks)

jojane Sun 20-Jan-13 15:01:04

I have given up on candy melts and now use white chocolate with gel food colouring in, works really well and tastes better than the melts too, I also use silver spoon strawberry choc buttons and orange choc buttons too as they stock them in Tesco near me

Freeze them, then put on a thin coat. Let that harden at room temp, then do another coat. A bit of a faff but it hides any cracks!

Karen03 Thu 17-Jan-13 15:05:25

At the moment I feel like throwing all my equipment across the room haha.

I think putting them in the freezer is ok for them to firm up but don't let them get properly frozen! And when you get them out of the freezer leave them for a while to get to room temp before you dip!

Going to attempt to melt some more candy melts later on, fingers crossed!

Sorry to tell you, but the crunchy bits is burnt chocolate. 30 sec blasts is too long, you need 1x30 then 10 sec blasts til its done

If its runny enough you might be able to sieve it and save it not that I'm experienced in it all

Once you've sorted it, put the bowl of melts into a bigger bowl with a small amount of hot water in it. It will help it stay runny

pumpkinsweetieMasPudding Thu 17-Jan-13 14:50:54

I have the same problem, ive had to start using real white chocolate melted in a bowl of water above a hot pan and then adding a small amount of food colour to it.

I have this problem. I think my mistake has been freezing the cake pops (I use a cake pop maker, so not buttercream-based cake pops, and freezing them helps keep them on the sticks) - they then 'sweat' as they start to thaw, and the stupid stuff siezes.

Onlyaphase Thu 17-Jan-13 14:37:35

I've had trouble with candy melts too. The best consistency is runny (obviously) like melted chocolate.

I pour the melted candy melts into a shallow bowl and spoon it over the cake pop, then twirl and tap gently until all the excess is off.

Karen03 Thu 17-Jan-13 14:34:49

Hi

Need some help with melting candy melts please, so they are the right consistency to dip the cake pop balls into!

Not exactly sure what the right consistency should be?! And I don't want them to get too warm! Just attempted to melt a whole 12oz bag of pink Wilton candy melts. They wouldn't go entirely smooth, had little crunchy bits in?! Microwaved them in 30 second bursts & then stirred with a spoon. Added some sunflower oil which I've read to do. Crunchy bits wouldn't go away but the melts were then fairly runny so I think I probably could have dipped them ok but the crunchy bits would have spoiled the smooth effect!

Also I think the bowl you melt them in needs to be fairly deep but not very wide so then they can be just dipped in once & the whole ball can be covered, is this correct?!

Sorry for waffling on, I'd be very grateful for any tips!

Thanks
Karen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now