Point me in the direction of the best carrot cake ever!

(7 Posts)
chubbleigh Tue 15-Jan-13 12:46:36

Never made one, plenty of recipes out there, who's is best?

Technoviking Tue 15-Jan-13 12:48:08

The one my wife made, sorry that isn't much help. grin

megandraper Tue 15-Jan-13 12:56:56

Phil Vickery's one. It's gluten-free, and it's the best carrot cake (gf or non-gf) that I've ever made.

DoItToJulia Tue 15-Jan-13 12:58:30
wrigglerstea Sat 19-Jan-13 13:20:37

Takes ages but is really good:

CAKE 7oz self raising whole meal flour
3 tsp mixed spice
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
6oz soft dark sugar
2large eggs
5floz veg oil
Grated zest 1 orange
7oz grated carrots
4oz sultanas
2oz desiccated coconut
2oz pecans (or macadamias if you feel rich)
SOAK juice of 1 orange
1tbsp lemon juice
3oz soft dark brown sugar
ICING 2oz full fat soft cheese
1oz unsealed butter
1oz icing sugar
Few pecans or macadamias to go on top

Pre-heat the oven to 170C and grease +- line a large round cake tin.

Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and all the wet ones in a large jug. This includes the carrot. Pour the contents of the jug into the bowl and mix to make a batter texture. Pour into the cake tin, bake for 40 mins.

While cooking stir the soak ingredients like mad until they have amalgamated. I do this in another jug but a bowl would be fine. When the cake is ready take it out of the oven, pierce it a few times then pour on the soak. Allow to cool to "slightly warm" in the tin then remove and allow to cool completely. I usually leave overnight to make sure it is properly cold (which is why it takes ages).

Use a hand whisk or the balloon on a food mixer to whip the icing ingredients until they are pale, fluffy and light. Then whisk a bit more! Spread over the cake, decorate with nuts and leave for long enough for the icing to slightly firm up on the outside if you can bear it.

Eat!

lolalotta Sun 20-Jan-13 14:26:27
Bottleoffish Mon 21-Jan-13 02:07:50

I really like the Mich Turner one, it's on the LVCC website. It has rum, raisins, walnuts and coconut in it and a citrus syrup you pour over when it comes out of the oven. It's lovely and moist and very, very moreish!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now