fed up

(9 Posts)
nannycook Tue 01-Jan-13 22:33:34

Since i moved 3 months ago i cant cook a bloody sponge in my gas oven or rather a madiera cake, it is the first one i've done though, was, heavy, greasey even appeared to look under done in the middle, was though cos i cooked it for 1hr 30 mins, such a waste of ingredients. Any suggestions???

Invest in an oven thermometer. If your oven took a knock during the move it may no longer be accurate.

nannycook Wed 02-Jan-13 08:37:31

Sillybeard, dont think its so much the oven as i had a built in electric fan assisted,now i have a built in eye level gas oven, did buy a thermometer not so long ago as and much as it is out alittle still dont think it was that either, but yet the mixture was exactly the same as i always do, stumpted really, all my victoria sponge are fab as are my cupcakes, this was my first madiera cake.

Hmm... Think I'd best leave it to the baking experts then!

applecrumple Wed 02-Jan-13 09:03:54

You need to check where the hottest part of your oven is - mine is aContinental one which means its hottest at the bottom instead of the top (which is the norm for electric/most gas ovens. Also did you use SR flour or baking powder?

nannycook Wed 02-Jan-13 09:51:25

The recipe i always use is the same as i've used for all my birthday cakesand i makes loads, or i did before i moved, now i'm starting to turn people down incase i get it wrong, its includes both plain and s/r flour, as i've always done.

VikingVagine Wed 02-Jan-13 11:55:54

Changing ovens is a nightmare. You'll get used to it eventually, but it's going to take a lot of trial and error which costs €€€€, but it has to be cheaper than buying a new fan oven.

nannycook Wed 02-Jan-13 12:50:17

Hi viking, but the odd thing is everthing else turns out ok, well it does now after a few disasters i must admit. Grrrrr.

VikingVagine Thu 03-Jan-13 15:46:46

I think you're just going to have to give it a go using different temps until it comes out right. Have you tried googling it to see if there are any suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now