talk to me about bread makers

(54 Posts)
lorisparkle Sun 30-Dec-12 23:56:47

I really want a breadmaker but need to convince DH. so I am really looking for some good arguments to convince him.

thanks.

lorisparkle Fri 04-Jan-13 18:30:42

thanks mothership however when we gave tried at john Lewis they will only price match if it is in stocksad

MothershipG Fri 04-Jan-13 15:07:28

sparkle If John Lewis have the same model they will price match, worth a look! I got an attachment for my Kenwood with a RRP of £79 for £11 doing this!

lolalotta Fri 04-Jan-13 11:39:00

Sorry to hear that sparkle! sad

lorisparkle Fri 04-Jan-13 10:03:53

was so disappointed, found one on debenhams at half price but when I went to buy they were sold outsad just will have to wait for next month now.

amillionyears Fri 04-Jan-13 08:56:26

The slicing machine looks lovely.
But is it dangerous at all?

We have the Panasonic SD-256, and before that the 255?

Any tips on how cheap you can go with panasonics and still get good results? Is the cheapest ok?

lorisparkle Wed 02-Jan-13 13:51:30

thanks everyone. I'm due some overtime and had some Christmas money so may treat myself next month. grin

lolalotta Wed 02-Jan-13 07:21:41

We have a Panasonic SD-257, I have no idea if it is the best (we have had it for about 2.5 years) but we have been very happy with it! It has a nut dispenser too! grin

Flossiechops Wed 02-Jan-13 06:52:27

All the panasonics are very good so it depends if you want the extra features more money will get you. The main one seems to be a seed/nut dispenser so you don't have to hang around waiting for it to beep to add them. So depends how much you would use that really.

We got this slicer here which does a good job. It was on offer when we got it though.

Will look up recipe for focaccia later.

Which Panasonic one is the best? We eat (well DH and DCs) so much bread and am really not happy with all the crap that is in packet bread.

Was always worried though that we would turn into Pilsbury Dough Boy shaped people if had fresh nice bread all of the time but I suppose if just make one loaf a day will be no more than we buy and sometimes throw half a loaf away every few days.

lolalotta Wed 02-Jan-13 06:25:19

Also Skiing, how does that slicing machine work then? Do you have to use your own knife or does it do it all for you? Can you vary the thickness of the slices?

lolalotta Wed 02-Jan-13 06:22:59

Any chance you could post us your recipe for focaccia skiing, please? smile

My DH can't cut straight to save his life. So we bought an argos slicing machine for about £15 which I now absolutely love having. Straight slices of bread but also lovely thin slices of cooked meats.

Whojamaflip Tue 01-Jan-13 22:36:28

Ours is used daily and we rarely buy plastic shop bread.

Doesn't even take me any time to chuck the ingredients in as I have now trained my 9yr old to do it grin

Use it to make loaves, pizza dough, any sort of dough to finish off in the oven (chelsea buns, rolld etc) and have successfully made jam as well!

Only thing I would say is avoid Kenwood like the plague - replaced my beloved Panasonic when it died and am frantically saving up for another but am stuck with this one for a while longer

amillionyears Tue 01-Jan-13 22:35:11

Thanks for the link. Seems good. Will have a think about it.

dizzy77 Tue 01-Jan-13 22:28:33

It is one like this. It was a gift and started my collection (I'm a bit blush about the price looking again I have had it years). I used one at a friends and it glided through the bread compared to anything else I've used. And unlike the straight blade knives it doesn't need sharpening but does need treating nicely (eg not in the drawer rattling against the other knives, or the dishwasher). My parents sharpened all the prongs off theirs defeating the object.

My slices are still a bit wonky though, don't tell your DH that. Hijack over, sorry OP.

amillionyears Tue 01-Jan-13 22:21:36

ooh. Tell us about your Global bread knife please.
I use what is commonly called my DH. He refuses to let me slice the loaves, as the slices all end up so wonky

dizzy77 Tue 01-Jan-13 22:11:58

Our savings are less from the bread itself (haven't properly done the sums) but more from no longer doing those trips to the supermarket where you just want a fresh load but come out with a basket worth £20.

Have a 5yo Panasonic which we used to use weekly and are just getting back into the habit post DC as remembered how nice the bread is and how well it toasts. Also have a Global bread knife which makes light work of slicing not a knife freak at all honest.

eggnoglatte Tue 01-Jan-13 22:09:36

Another one with a Panasonic which I love, love, love. Perfect loaves every time, smells good, you know exactly what you are eating, each loaf costs approx 45p (calculated ages ago in a foreign country, prob way cheaper than that now), would NEVER buy bread now. You won't look back if you like bread.

amillionyears Tue 01-Jan-13 22:03:59

!
Yes, was surprised it didnt last longer, but it was used daily.
It actually sort of burnt out around the inside base of it.

2 years isn't very long! Hope your next one lasts longer. Ours is 10 years old so I'm guessing our price per loaf is pretty low by now!

amillionyears Tue 01-Jan-13 21:49:05

two not to.

amillionyears Tue 01-Jan-13 21:48:31

Also got a Panasonic. It is used daily. Ours lasted to years almost to the day. And then we bought a new one.
We worked out , that that for us, the overall cost of the loaf of bread, including the replacement of the machine every two years, was half of the cost of a loaf of bread in the shop.
No longer know what the price of a loaf is. Assume shop bought loaves havent changed much in price lately?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now