Making my own wedding cake

(48 Posts)

I have a few questions (well loads actually blush )

I am aiming for a 10" 8" 6" round cake iced in white fondant with icing roses to decorate. A fruitcake layer iced with marzipan instead of a crumb coating of buttercream. The other layers plain sponge with jam and buttercream filling.

How many layers are required for each tier? One youtube clip had three layers in each tier, is that right? And do I bake one deep cake and cut or bake three separate ones?

Is a fruitcake layer better on the bottom or can I have it on the top? Worried it would be too heavy ontop of sponge.

Whats best for making roses? Flowerpaste?

How long in advance can I make the roses?

How many days before should I start making the cake? If anyone could give rough timings for baking/decorating etc that would be ideal!

If you have made it this far, thank you! And TIA for any advice smile

Thanks theblue.

I made DD1 a princess castle cake for her birthday last year, a peppa pig one the year before and a JLS cake with stars coming out the top for my cousin.

They all looked pretty amateurish but not too bad really. The more practice the better I will get. The design I want for this cake is very simple and really only needs the roses to look good. As I can do them in advance I can take my time and perfect them.

I looked into buying some pre made ones but they were all too small!

nannycook Mon 31-Dec-12 18:49:21

Go for it Wannabe.

GlaikitFizzHogmany Mon 31-Dec-12 19:09:27

Marzipan is good for making roses and you can get white marzipan you can colour. I find it easier to work with than flower paste.

My local education centre do 4 week long blocks of cake decorating courses. Maybe see if there are any near you for some practical support.

Also you tube is your friend.

The you tube tutorials are great. We are trying to keep costs down and the local cake decorating courses are £100 plus the travel to get there each week so I would rather not. Though I know I would love it!

I will have a go with the marzipan then aswell as the flower paste and see what works best!

GlaikitFizzHogmany Mon 31-Dec-12 19:27:07

Oh the one I did which covered basic flowers was £18 for 4 weeks. We had to provide our own stuff, but it was the skills I wanted to learn.

I could write out the instructions to make a rosé of you like. I could even try my hand and videoing it and uploading to you tube if you like.

nannycook Mon 31-Dec-12 19:38:56

Wannabe its a pity you didnt go to the NEC in Birmingham in Nov, now that you wouldav loved, there were lits of exhibitions showing people how to do simple things, roses etc, and the competition cakes were out of this world, made me think i'd never make another cake in my life. Theres one in London next April with Paul Hollywood, definitely worth going.

Thats so kind of you, instructions would be great!

I watched a great you tube video with an american lady. She was making a large rose so she used a foam bud (as she said it gets heavy very quickly when making big roses) to start it. It all seemed easy to follow except the first petal onto the bud. She said something about putting it on differently. But I cant see what shes doing.

Does that make sense to you? Written instructions on how to put the petals onto the rose would be really helpful. I think making the petals (with a cutter and ball tool) seems ok!

Im in NI nannycook. Its a pity because that sounds really good! Some of the professional cakes I have been looking at are truely shocking. Some very talented people!

GlaikitFizzHogmany Mon 31-Dec-12 19:53:20

I don't use a bud or a cutter, or a ball tool! I'll get out some marzipan later and make one up so I write them up right! Y aren't in any rush are you! July is ages away!

Wannabe - just to quickly answer your question about freezing madeira, it won't dry out. Make sure it is completely cool before you wrap it (I wrap twice in clingfilm, then again in foil) so there's no condensation, then when you take it out, unwrap all but the last layer of clingfilm and let it defrost slowly.
Sometimes I split the cake and put a layer of greaseproof paper between the layers before I freeze, but you don't have to. I don't level it though, I do that after it's defrosted just in case.
Make sure you post pics after it's done, it sounds like you're very organised!smile

I did a course in sugar flowers at a local college , was good fun , and I learnt enough to make lovely cakes for family and friends ,

My tip is to go to a local sugarcraft shop , and ask advice from the lady who runs it !

They have all the cutters , cel pads , tools etc . My local small shop owner is very helpful .

nannycook you're just down the road from me ! Your cakes are lovely . Well done .

Cake

That is the look I am going for but none of the premade roses look as big as those.

You will all probably tell me they are real roses or something grin but they look like flowerpaste ones to me!

Thanks Mycat! Im taking notes from all the advice on this thread!

No rush Glaikit, wont be buying materials for another few weeks yet. smile

Theres only one cake decorating shop near me but this website is cheaper so will get it all from them in one go!

nannycook Mon 31-Dec-12 20:39:23

Do i, where are you then?

nannycook Mon 31-Dec-12 20:39:58

And thank you for the compliments.

Hi Nanny I'm near Carmarthen .
Similar in age too , but have 2DC in school

Also , wannabe
Do you have TK Maxx near you ? The one near me often has nice cutters and cake boards in , always worth a rummage

pantaloons Mon 31-Dec-12 22:20:39

I had silk flowers on my cake wannabe, I had 3 tiers of cake stacked directly on top of each other and wired a rope of lillies and gold roses with a bit of greenery and sort of draped it artfully(ish) round. It looked really pretty and made life a lot easier. Although having said that it is quite therapeutic tuning out and making a few roses at a time of a night time!

Oh I never thought of TK maxx! Will have to have a look the next time Im near!

That sounds really pretty pantaloons I am going to look for some silk roses and see how they look/compare price.

Thing is, I really want to master sugar roses grin

pantaloons Mon 31-Dec-12 22:33:56

If you do decide to price up silk flowers have a look at SIA, I find them to be the nicest looking and amazingly realistic aswell.

nannycook Tue 01-Jan-13 07:46:13

Do I, not to far away? My dd attended the hospital lthere on her 3mth placement. Yep, TKMaxx is worth a look too got a few good piceces there mysef just the other day.

Wannabe, have a go yourself you'll never know what you can do unless you try. Practise makes perfect dont forget.

JRsandCoffee Wed 02-Jan-13 06:49:30

Loads of good advice! Don't think anyone has mentioned yet, apologies if so! There are two sorts of Rose cutter, individual petal ones and ones which cut to give all the petals attached to a middle bit and you create all the petals at the same time rather than adding them individually. The single petal route gives more flexibility and you can obviously create a much frillier Rose as you can add more layers. The all I'm one ones are easier and quicker after a few practice runs, still look good but just less complexity. Also when using flower paste don't be tempted to cut all the petals at once if doing single petal as it dries quickly and will go stiff, do a few or even one at a time. Also don't be tempted to use icing sugar to stop sticking to boards etc, if necessary use a tiny dusting of cornflour.
Good guide to wedding cake making on the good food website, I only ever split the tiers twice at most, find it a pain to eat otherwise! http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4578/creating-your-wedding-cake
Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now