Food Processor

(27 Posts)
babysbreath Wed 26-Dec-12 16:48:58

I seem to do a lot more baking, and would like to buy a food processor, any recommendations would be much appreciated.

bakingaddict Wed 26-Dec-12 16:56:28

A KitchenAid, I got one earlier in the year and it is now my most used kitchen appliance

Bunbaker Wed 26-Dec-12 17:01:31

For baking you need a food mixer rather than a food processor. I treated myself to this Bosch food mixer and it is the bees knees, and a fraction of the price of a Kitchenaid.

I second the kichen aid. I use mine all the time. I would also recommend he magimix food processor. Expensive but like the kichen aid will last forever and nice enough to keep out on the work top all the time.

VikingVagine Wed 26-Dec-12 17:55:06

Depends on budget really. I got the Kenwood Prospero with all the attachments for about €150. It does the job really well but isn't very solid so I'm not sure how long it's going to last as it gets a lot of use. Once it's dead, I'll be getting a Kitchenaid because it's prettier than the others supposed to be excellent.

ScienceRocks Wed 26-Dec-12 18:45:41

I got a Prospero for Christmas and have already used it to make bread dough. It is much cheaper than a KitchenAid and does a lot more, but is a stand mixer so is much easier to clean and use generally.

youngermother1 Wed 26-Dec-12 19:25:25

Kenwood chef everytime

TINKERBELLE33 Wed 26-Dec-12 20:57:54

Santa got me a Kenwood Chef and I've used it three times already and can't fault it. My Grandma got hers in 1976 and it's still going strong. When I was young it was used daily so has been a real work horse. I just hope mine lasts too.

Kitchenaid here too. Was worried when I bought it that it might not get the use it deserves but I use it at least once a day. On Monday it was pretty much on the go all day long. It's more than a pretty face.

However, Santa bought SIL a Kmix and that looks pretty good too.

I have a Kitchen Aid which I use for all baking and a Magimix food processor which I use for general cooking like making curry pastes, soffrito, breadcrumbs. Also a blender for smoothies and a hand blender for soups.

Might seem totally over the top but each of these pieces of kit gets used several times a week. We do a LOT of home cooking though and everything gets made from scratch inc all bread, cakes, biscuits, spice mixes (because we are skint and live very rurally, and quite like to cook...).

I have used Kenwoods and other types of mixer in the past but much prefer the kitchen aid. The dough hook is, in particular, marvellous. It is an absolute joy to use for all baking jobs. Very solid, beautifully made machine.

babysbreath Wed 26-Dec-12 21:31:36

Wow, I very much appreciate all responses. I can now look at the different ones mentioned and try and make a decision!

priscilla101 Wed 26-Dec-12 21:53:47

I bought the XL magi mix food processor and tbh think I would have preferred a kitchen aid mixer and the smallest magimix.

I love my food processor though and would not be without it!

MumOfTheMoos Wed 26-Dec-12 21:57:51

I've had problems with the kitchen aid food processor. The handle has cracked twice which doesn't sound too much of a problem until you realise that the handle is what closes the circuit to make it go. It doesn't go. I'm going to buy a different one.

MumOfTheMoos Wed 26-Dec-12 21:58:49

I love my kitchen aid mixer though grin

Bunbaker Thu 27-Dec-12 08:07:23

Am I the only one here who doesn't find the retro look of the Kitchen aid particularly attractive?

Probably not Bun. Personal taste is so different. I absolutely love the way my red kitchen aid looks in my kitchen but others may not.

MothershipG Thu 27-Dec-12 10:08:12

If your budget will stretch to it I can highly recommend the Kenwood Titanium and it comes with a processor attachment so you don't need a separate one. I love mine! smile

redwallday Thu 27-Dec-12 17:55:42

The Kenwood Chef. They recently did a 'bake off' with that vs the Kitchen Aid and it came out on top! grin The Kitchen Aid is all show! wink

redwallday Thu 27-Dec-12 17:56:53

Kenwood Chef Titanium I should say! Comes with all your food processor stuff too.

mamababa Thu 27-Dec-12 18:00:28

I recently got a kenwood chef titanium and it's ace! Used it loads and you get a free attachment if you buy one before 31/12/12. And kenwood is British and apparently their customer service is legendary. People have them for hundreds of years! grin

youngermother1 Thu 27-Dec-12 20:37:16

My Kenwood is a 16yr old wedding present and still ace. My mother's is over 30 yrs old.

MothershipG Fri 28-Dec-12 08:45:45

outfoxed I'd love to see/read that bake off, can you post a link?

Jergens Fri 28-Dec-12 10:13:04

Sorry to hijack but...
I have s Kenwood titanium which I love but don't particularly rate the processor attachment. I find that good leaks out the top. Eg. I was crumbling biscuits in it for a cheesecake and ended up with crumbs escaping through the closed lid. Anyone else experience this?

MothershipG Fri 28-Dec-12 11:45:22

Jergens You have to remember that the processor attachment is smaller than full size processors so don't overload it. I had the same experience the first time I used it to make breadcrumbs so now I just do batches, a reasonable compromise for the advantage of not having to have a separate machine.

nickelbabylyinginamanger Fri 28-Dec-12 11:49:54

i vote Kenwood chef. get the classic and you can get loads if attachments.

it comes with a k mixer a whisk and a dough hook as well as a blender jug.
it's the most versatile.

we also have a mincer and a shredded/slice/grater

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now