Help melting chocolate

(15 Posts)
Rockchick1984 Wed 02-Jan-13 22:49:29

I've never had a problem melting chocolate in the microwave, however I take it out every 10 seconds and give it a stir. Usually takes 50-60 seconds for me to melt 100gram bar. Oh, and I don't let it melt completely, I stir a lot at the end to melt the last few chunks smile

PolterGoose Sun 23-Dec-12 10:37:14

I use a heat diffuser, gas at lowest and melt in saucepan, taking it off the heat as soon as it is about half melted and leaving it to finish melting in the residual heat.

Nolda Sun 23-Dec-12 09:44:11

Make sure the bowl is v clean and dry. Ensure steam is not condensing into choc (ie keep water only simmering).

Tailtwister Sun 23-Dec-12 09:37:37

Do you mean straight in the saucepan Turquoise?

HuffleWitch Sun 23-Dec-12 09:37:26

Thanks all. I was melting it in a glass bowl over simmering water. And it was melting cooking chocolate, not stuff off the confectionery aisle. Still went lumpy. Oh well. Less biscuits dipped, less available to wrap for gifts, more for me!

grin

Tailtwister Sun 23-Dec-12 09:36:02

Probably too hot. I've never had success melting chocolate in the microwave and always use the bain marie (sp?) method. You must make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water though and the no water gets into the chocolate. If it does, it will seize up completely.

TurquoiseTranquility Sat 22-Dec-12 21:10:07

Oh and BTW I do it on the hob. Microwaving as a cooking method (rather than heating up cooked food) is far too unreliable IMO. And bain marie is a pain in the posterior. I virtually never use bain maries. Not even on custard.

TurquoiseTranquility Sat 22-Dec-12 21:06:38

in my experience, not any choc melts easily. Some choc (notably Cadbury's dairy milk) doesn't melt much at all, rather comes out looking like a very wet biscuit grin
It's probably down to the content of the choc, but I'm not sure exactly what.
I used to think supermarkets selling "cooking" or "baking" chocolate were just trying to flog poor quality stuff but I learned from experience that truly not all choc melts!

Dark choc is more likely to melt BTW.

Not all is lost though, if you add some milk or cream (or both) to your dipping choc and stir stir stir, eventually you will get a homogenous mass. It may be somewhat less brown than you want, but be patient and keep chucking in choc (of whatever kind), or add a bit of cocoa powder.

That's how I make truffles, and I never bother looking for cooking choc anymore. Just add cream and stir stir stir.

HTH!!

mamij Sat 22-Dec-12 21:05:07

You need to put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl (without water) and let it melt over a pot of simmering water.

Putting it in the microwave or letting water get it may make it lumpy.

vintageviolets Sat 22-Dec-12 21:03:10
Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Sat 22-Dec-12 21:00:32

Water getting in it?

SavoyCabbage Sat 22-Dec-12 20:57:36

Well what are the lumps? Get your microscope outgrin

If you overheat it it will be lumpy. If you don't melt it enough it will be lumpy and it will definitely be lumpy with crumbs in.

Eat it all with a spoon to see.

ParsleyTheLioness Sat 22-Dec-12 20:57:31

Think its best to melt it over hot water, rather than directly.

PenisColada Sat 22-Dec-12 20:55:30

Too hot

HuffleWitch Sat 22-Dec-12 20:54:49

I'm melting chocolate to dip biscuits in, and it keeps going lumpy and hard.

Do you think this is because:

A) it's too cold
B) it's too hot
C) it's got too many foreign bodies (crumbs) in it
D) it's got water in it
E) it's crappy chocolate
F) other - please specify.

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now